• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

restoring instrument bezel?

karolscali

the plastic chrome instrument bezel is tarnished, looking for ideas to restore it , also need to paint the metal trim below dash is it two different colors you can choose from? i have a black interior. one more thing it has the 14" gt styled wheels on her they are 14 by 6" is this the shallow styled wheel? i want to get beauty rings and there seems different sizes to choose from much appreciate the input thanx

franklinair

Black interior: 1.) the lower portion of the dash should be a satin black.
2.) the instr. bezels are available aftermarket.
3.) I just purchased the trim rings & hubcaps from Virginia
Mustang. They are good to deal with, and can give
good advice.

Neil Hoppe

J_Speegle

......., also need to paint the metal trim below dash is it two different colors you can choose from? i have a black interior.....................

Even though Ford called it "BLACK" the correct color is dark charcoal metallic. Its best to shot the panels with a thin coat of semi-gloss black (so that the grain is not filled) then one light coat of the dark charcoal.

Its available from every Mustang parts supplier and a common mistake on restored cars before the internet ;)

franklinair

J Speegle's info is correct for the grain surfaces of the doors. (you never want to fill in the grain texture)
The lower dash area should be satin black. Krylon aerosol is a dead on match for factory finish. I've seen this application on MCA show caliber cars.
Neil Hoppe

J_Speegle

The lower dash area should be satin black. ........

Neil - respectfully where did you get this? The correct color is the Dark Charcoal Metallic (Charcoal Black Metallic in the sample below). Yes its almost black and is called black but there is a subtle difference. Any period paint chip book will spell this out clearly

Had to Photoshop it for better fit

1968-ford-pg02.jpg

Will not comment on what "MCA show caliber cars" can mean ;)

Last edited: