• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Repairing damaged fiberglass

dalorzo_f

Picked up a used OEM, never installed, rear tail panel.

Has a couple damaged areas (a few large-ish pieces broken off the ends).

I have an OEM on my CS/GT and am wondering if there are any recommendations for repairing to get "close" to OEM. Wondering if some mold process would be best, as I beleive it was orignally done that way and was not hand laid woven or random fiber mat ...?

rvrtrash

You would have to build a mold from your original, lay in the broken one and then build up the missing areas. Probably more trouble than it's worth. I would grind down a little of the edge of the part, lay out some fiberglass cloth in the general shape you need, resin it, and then start building it up to match your original, if you don't have the pieces that are broken out. You'll do a lot of cutting and grinding as you build. You definately have your work cut out for you, especially if you haven't worked with fiberglass before, but it can be done.

Steve

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Done a bit of fiberglass, repaired convertible inner rear 1/4 panels, typical broken tabs, heater boxes, and some other non-car stuff, pretty easy to work with.

Just looking for a process to repair as close to original as reasonable. And the easiest way to maintain as close to OEM shape dimensions as possible, thus the mold question.

Have done small molds for the tabs with plasticene, worked really well, but as its a substantially larger area thinking the soft putty will not hold the shape well....

Have none of the broken bits...