• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Removing Locking Lug Nuts

Mosesatm

Does anyone know how to remove locking lug nuts without the key?

Attachments

• Locking Lugnut.jpg
    Locking Lugnut.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 26

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I've had tire shops do it. They have a special tapered socket and they bang it on (hard) and then use an impact to get it back off.

J_Speegle

I've found a deep socket in my tool box that is just a little smaller and hammered it over just enough to grab than twisted the lug nut off.

Worked for me

rvrtrash

I had one on the '73 I'm working on now that wouldn't come off, even when I had the tire shop try. I drilled two small holes along one "side" of the lug nut, being careful not to hit the stud threads or drill into the wheel. I then cut between the holes with a small angle cutter as far as I could without touching the wheel and finished off with a cold chisel and hammered till I split the lug nut (they're surprisenly soft). I would only recommend this if your only other option is to pull the spindle and throw it and the wheel away, but it worked for me. Good luck.

Steve

njmop

Grind two sides flat with a dremel tool or small grinder and use a wrench to loosen (takes a while) -or - tack weld a large nut on the locking nut and take it off with a socket wrench. This same thing happened to me and it was a pain to get those off...

GTCS95616

I've used an air chisel with a small round point jammed in the groove of the lock to work it free. It helps to tighten all of the non locking lug nuts and use something to shield the wheel from the the chisel in case you slip.