• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Quarter panel extensions

Stathy

Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone has had to repair the mounting studs on the fiberglass rear quarterpanel extensions.
I purchased a set from the good folks at MU and once again they've given me a problem. One of the studs was located in the wrong spot. Not even close actually. Yes, I could return them but since im in Canada the cost to send them back as well as the duties isn't worth what I hope to be a fairly easy repair.

I'd like to remove the stud and epoxy? it in the correct location. I've searched the net to try and find something regarding adhering metal to fiberglass but so far no luck. Since I'll need to torque it in place somewhat I would assume the epoxy used would have to be strong enough to hold the stud from spinning.

Should I look laying new fiberglass and 'drop' a stud in place or should i look at using an epoxy type adhesive. Or perhaps i'm way off target and you good folks could offer some advice?

Best regards,
Stan

rvrtrash

I had to repair one of mine and I fiberglassed the stud in place. An epoxy would probably work, but I didn't want to chance it, so built it up and ran the cloth and resin about an inch past the base of the stud. As for "torqueing", I used body seam sealer on all the nuts to seal the holes in the body and it acts like a thread locker, so snug is all you need. Don't get carried away and put the 1/2 inch breaker bar on them. :smile:

Steve

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

I had to repair one of mine and I fiberglassed the stud in place. An epoxy would probably work, but I didn't want to chance it, so built it up and ran the cloth and resin about an inch past the base of the stud. As for "torqueing", I used body seam sealer on all the nuts to seal the holes in the body and it acts like a thread locker, so snug is all you need. Don't get carried away and put the 1/2 inch breaker bar on them. :smile:

Steve
Fantastic Steve.
This helps out a lot. I would feel much better using fiberglass than epoxy. I'll use your method as it sounds bulletproof.
thanks so much for your time!

Cheers
Stan