• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Picking it up!

nfrntau

Hey Y'all,
I'll be picking my car up this weekend from Larry. I've seen a few preliminary photos of the paint job and it looks fantastic. I'm very excited and will post a bunch of photos after I pick up the car.
The car is in Amarillo, Texas and I will be putting it on a 20' flatbed trailer and towing it back to Houston, Texas. It's about 600 miles and about a 10 hour drive or so.
Do any of you have any suggestions on covering, not covering or protecting in some other way for the long haul back home?
I'm concerned that a car cover would whip in the wind and scuff the new paint. The other concern is that the truck tire might kick up a rock hitting the car. I do not have access to an enclosed trailer and am renting the one I am using from a reputable outfit close by. (they even give me a spare for the trip).

As a side note, my wife asked me to ask him if I was the only one stupid enough to drive a car 600 miles to get it painted. lol

somethingspecial

Congrats on picking it up. I know how excited I was when mine was in paint. If the painter is good, 600 miles is worth it. No stupidity there. Don't cover the car for traveling. It would do exactly what you said, beat it to death. Try to come up with some sort of mud flaps for you truck, this will protect it. Not much you can do about other road hazards kicked up by passing cars. Don't forget to get touch up paint from the painter, just in case. Have a safe trip, and post some pics soon. Mike

case12

I just trailered my car 600 miles (U_Haul trailer). No one I saw used a cover....they get whipped by the wind. My truck has a rear top, so that blocked most the bugs. I had no rock problems, but the truck has big mud flaps (I saw a lot of people "clip" mud flaps on their concourse driven cars with the office type clips....to keep rock chips off - maybe work for a truck too?). I did get some dust coming behind some type of cement truck, but it washed off easily. I looked for a bug screen to strap to the front the the stang, but couldnt find them around here. That may help with the bugs. That's a few tips I recently used. Hope it all goes well. Casey

Last edited:

franklinair

I just looked at your gallery photos of the restoration. WELL DONE!
Neil Hoppe

390cs68rcode

if you are not going to drive the car in the rain once it is back I would hire a enclosed transport service. It is suppose to rain all this weekend.

If you are going to drive the car in the future you WILL get chips sooner or later.

I think the mud flap thing is a good idea.

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

great resto job - curious about the brakes , is that an external variable proportioning valve.

shaun

Shaun, I used a MPB disc/drum conversion kit. That is the prop valve that came with the set-up. This valve has a removable spring so it can be used with disc/drum or disc/disc set-ups. Rather than rear discs, I went with 2"x10" drums on the rear.

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thought I would post an update. I was very dissappointed when I went to get the car. I ended up leaving it in Amarillo. The Alcapulco Blue looks awesome on the car but the paint job had issues that needed to be resolved. I will let you know how it all worked out and post photos when I have a final product.

Fortunately I don't have a time line so I'm still right on schedule!!
Cheers

adtkart

When you have to transport a newly painted car on an open trailer, there is something that you can do to help protect it. In the collision industry we use a product that is called "slime" or "spray mask". It is basically a soapy substance that is sprayed on the surface with a paint gun. It dries to a relatively sticky surface, but protects the paint. We spray all cars in the areas where paint work will not be done, when they come in the shop. The spray mask protects the paint from overspray, grinding dust, and even most welding sparks. When you want it off, it washes off with a garden hose.

If you run thru rain, the people behind you will get a soap bath though.

Aaron

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thanks for the info,
http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/media/pds/English/5708.pdf
$26/gallon

In the removal instructions it says "do not let vehicle dry once removal process has begun". That statement scares me. It's very possible I could be driving through rain on the way. I sent Sherwin Williams a mail and asked them for more information. I'll let you know what they say.

Newest update: he's got most of the car re-painted.

adtkart

I am not sure of the brand that we use at work, but think it is USG or something like that. I do know that we have had cars before that sat out in the rain with it on them, and didn't have a problem. I get it from the local paint jobber for about $20 a gallon I think.

I would spray it on pretty heavy, for best protection of a new paint job. Once you get home, just rinse it off. If it doesn't come right off, turn on the sprinkler. Water is the only thing that I know of that will take it off.

Aaron

rvrtrash

I've always avoided putting anything on paint for 6 months so the paint would cure. Does this stuff breathe so the solvents can evaporate off?
For the same reason, I don't use car covers or anything else that touches the paint, because I (and my painter) feels the paint is still soft. Comments?

Steve

BroadwayBlue

I've always avoided putting anything on paint for 6 months so the paint would cure. Does this stuff breathe so the solvents can evaporate off?
For the same reason, I don't use car covers or anything else that touches the paint, because I (and my painter) feels the paint is still soft. Comments?

Steve

I was thinking the same thing about putting something on fresh paint driving home last night and was going to post something similar. Great minds think alike :rolleyes:
I've always been told to let the paint cure before putting anything on it, heavy wax, cover, bra, etc ...

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

I received a call regarding that coating. They don't recommend it. The rep told me that if the car got wet and it didn't completely wash off the coating it would not come off easily basically damaging the finish. He also said they don't recommend it sitting in the sun either. He also said on a new paint job it could actually create problems with the finish as solvents normally evaporating would be held against the finish. We had a nice conversation. His thoughts were if I needed added protection for the trip to use a heavy coat of glazing compound.
Similar reasons to what has already been discussed. The paint will still cure and breath and a glaze will not seal the paint.

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Here it is, this is a tease photo. I want to wait until I have the car in hand and am 100% happy before I post other photos.
More to come once I pick it up.

Attachments

• 100_1321.jpg
    100_1321.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 22

Mosesatm

Wow, that looks great. And that's the quarter WE fixed!!!