• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Owners Manual

Maine gt/cs

I have a chance to buy an original owners manual for the 1968 Mustang so the owner claims. I have seen 2 different colored manuals for the 1968 Mustang. One has the brownish color and the other has the reddish color to the outline of the manual. My 68 gt/cs was built in April. The one I am looking at says, First Printing 1967. What is the difference between the 2 manuals and what color goes with my car. Thanks for any response.

Tim

quicknick

Tim,
2 of my Cali's retain their original owners manuals in the glove boxes. Both are the brownish/orangish color. The back page will say "Form no.7833-68. My cars were built in early Feb, and late March. I'm not sure about the redish manual. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on that. Nicholas

gt/csj4

I believe the red ones referred are repo's but as Nick said, the "original" ones for 68' were/are more of an orange/brown color. Have you seen these manuals in person? Usually and most often, reproduction ones cant duplicate the correct color from the past so they do their best to try (look at the repo yellow top coils out there, the tops arent even yellow the damn things are brown lol ..just an example)

Tim_morrison82

i picked up a set of original manuals off ebay for $50, the originals have the stamped in details of the purchaser. i would see if they are filled out similar to this. the original documents come in a warranty envelope and include a few different booklets, they are pretty cool to look at these days. mine doesn't match dealer or any info for my car except year, but i think they are great!

DSC04182.jpg

OP
OP
Maine gt/cs

Maine gt/cs

manual

This is actually on e-bay. The person selling it say's that it came from a personal collection from a ford employee from years back. It was never issued to a car. The manual say's First printing, July 1967. From what I understand, Ford issued the right's to have repo's made but have reprint on the manual where it say's first or second or third print. Some were made in 1967 and 1968, so my thinking is that is where the different colors come from. I would like to know for sure before I spend the money for it. They swear it is an original manual. Has the right print code. There is also another one that has the brownish color and only has the person's name that bought the car and nothing else printed or writing on the inside cover. I am scratching my punkin head on this one, but a lot of fun doing research. Thanks again for your reply's.

Tim

gt/csj4

Just remember, One mans words is only as good as the actions he sets forth. I can sell ANYTHING to someone if I swear upon the item, even if it's a fallacy.Are you going for total concours correct? Even if you are, as long as it's the correct "style and look" I dont believe you would be deducted from....Either way.. Good luck in whatever you choose :wink:

OP
OP
Maine gt/cs

Maine gt/cs

manual

Not going for concours correct. I know what you mean about the use of words when truing to sell something. The person that is trying to sell the manual has a 100% feedback and I don't think they would like a p----d off Maine-iac ruining that for them..I am going to put a few more question's to them before I make up my mind. Thanks again

Tim

J_Speegle

The two different colored owners manuals in 68 are both correct but it depends on when your car was built/delivered. Since this is a Calif Special site then only the later version would likely have been with the car.

Differences include warranty changes trailer towing information and the maintenance order coupons were deleted

The second version is described as having a different cover color and the marking of "First Printing - Revised"

Change over is indicated as Dec 20, 67 and instructs all dealers to destroy all earlier versions and to replace (with the new version) all Mustang owners manuals of cars in inventory at that time

Hope this helps in some way