• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 overhead console/ map lights

cool68

hello all needing some help....i want to make sure i have my map lights hooked up correct....from the map lights to the switchs... can someone give me the wire colors and where they go....also....how do i hook up the overhead console to the main wiring harness......and can i hook it up to the dome light harness and just have the lights work when i open my doors?:smile:

green56

overhead console

When you get all the info I would like to put one in my GT/CS so if you could let me know thanks Tom Wisconsin

franklinair

If your CS did not have the roof console, the wiring will have to be modified for the Map lights to work.
Cars that have a Dome light have a single wire going to it (Black with a Blue stripe) for power when one of the doors is open to illuminate the Dome light.
When installing a roof console the Dome light is no longer used or required. The trick is to locate the Black/Blue wire in the passenger door switch area. Unplug it (bullet type connector) and find a DIFFERENT connector that has a Green/Yellow stripe wire going into it, and plug in the Black/Blue wire you had previously unplugged. Now you have a 'Hot' wire in the Dome light area. Connect it to the Map Light bullet connector in the roof console and the Map lights will work using their individual switches.
Too bad you guys live so far away- wish I could be there, and show you.

Neil

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

thanks

If your CS did not have the roof console, the wiring will have to be modified for the Map lights to work.
Cars that have a Dome light have a single wire going to it (Black with a Blue stripe) for power when one of the doors is open to illuminate the Dome light.
When installing a roof console the Dome light is no longer used or required. The trick is to locate the Black/Blue wire in the passenger door switch area. Unplug it (bullet type connector) and find a DIFFERENT connector that has a Green/Yellow stripe wire going into it, and plug in the Black/Blue wire you had previously unplugged. Now you have a 'Hot' wire in the Dome light area. Connect it to the Map Light bullet connector in the roof console and the Map lights will work using their individual switches.
Too bad you guys live so far away- wish I could be there, and show you.

Neil
thanks Neil i got it....found the green with yellow stripe behind the glove box door....turns out i have a bad map light switch...WOW.....just used the dome light wire...for now...the map lights come on when the doors are open...thanks Neil

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

hello

When you get all the info I would like to put one in my GT/CS so if you could let me know thanks Tom Wisconsin
hey Tom there's a wire that is green with a yellow stripe behind the glove box door...that's the wire for the console ..read what Neil wrote in my post..i hope this helps

green56

overhead console

Thanks everybody for the info cars are put away for the year don't like to see what the weather was this morning SNOW not a lot but just to get the grass covered will have to print this out and save it for next spring thanks again Every One Have a HAPPY TURKEY day

franklinair

NPD, page 224: U-L631. If you want a brighter, whiter use the LED U-631L15.

Neil