• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 oil pan

cool68

hey guys tell me do i have to lift the motor up to replace my oil pan ? i have a J code 302.....went to change my oil and the drain plug hole was all screwed up...so i found a new oil pan really cheap :smile:

robert campbell

nope, cross member is held on by two bolts. May need to drop the idler arm to gain a bit of clearance under the back if you have power steering.

Have fun laying under the car scraping gaskets..... This is not fun..... If you have a lot of "gook" in the oil pump pickup, unbolt it and clean it out. the screen filling up with gook forcing the pickup to feed through a center hole in the pickup is the death of many an oil pump! A chunk of something gets sucked up into the oil pump and blamo the oil pump rod is twisted off stopping it. Get to the key quickly so you do not fry the bearings!!

By the way, they sell one piece oil pump gaskets that include the seals front and back. They come with nifty screw in dowels that hold the pan up in place while you bolt her down. Way cool!!

Rob

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

nope, cross member is held on by two bolts. May need to drop the idler arm to gain a bit of clearance under the back if you have power steering.

Have fun laying under the car scraping gaskets..... This is not fun..... If you have a lot of "gook" in the oil pump pickup, unbolt it and clean it out. the screen filling up with gook forcing the pickup to feed through a center hole in the pickup is the death of many an oil pump! A chunk of something gets sucked up into the oil pump and blamo the oil pump rod is twisted off stopping it. Get to the key quickly so you do not fry the bearings!!

By the way, they sell one piece oil pump gaskets that include the seals front and back. They come with nifty screw in dowels that hold the pan up in place while you bolt her down. Way cool!!

Rob
Thanks rob

Mosesatm

Rob, I think you mean oil pan gasket set, not oil pump gasket set.:wink:

Taking off oil pans is almost like looking under sofa cushions. Many years ago I took the pan off my first GT/CS and found a piston skirt in it!!!

robert campbell

yup, oil pan set! Fel Pro OS-13260-T. Just installed one and they are the S __T! The cool little dowel pins are awesome and would be very helpful doing it under a car. $43 bucks at my local NAPA.

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

yup, oil pan set! Fel Pro OS-13260-T. Just installed one and they are the S __T! The cool little dowel pins are awesome and would be very helpful doing it under a car. $43 bucks at my local NAPA.

Just got the same gasket paid $29 buck for mine I will do the oil pan in the morning

robert campbell

guys tell me do you have to apply sealant? and if so how do you apply the sealant

I do these dry. I still put a dab of RTV in the front/rear corners. I also like to use a piece of hard wood on the pan rail and a hammer to flatten the bolt holes a bit on the pan. They tend to dimple in from over tightening over the years. This allows the pan to be tighter between the bolt holes. The new one piece is designed with a steel collar in each hole. You tighten them down until they press against the collar and that is all you get!!

Rob

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

I do these dry. I still put a dab of RTV in the front/rear corners. I also like to use a piece of hard wood on the pan rail and a hammer to flatten the bolt holes a bit on the pan. They tend to dimple in from over tightening over the years. This allows the pan to be tighter between the bolt holes. The new one piece is designed with a steel collar in each hole. You tighten them down until they press against the collar and that is all you get!!

Rob

Thanks rob

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

Udate update

Just got my oil pan back on that felpro gasket with those pins to line up the gasket is so cool it made the job so easy. No one with a small block ford should be running around with an oil pan leak its just to easy lol