• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Moving of anccestors cemetary

Mosesatm

If you can prove any Native Amercians are buried there it will be stopped in a heartbeat.

J.Bart

he's got a good point, also wouldn't it be hard to move the people buried there without damage or ? i' mean they wouldn't all be in up to date caskets. wouldn't they have to prove that they can safely move the caskets without damage?
it's just not right, laid to rest should mean laid to rest.
they wouldn't have to be full blood native americans i don't think, if a person can prove they are an 8th indian they can be a part of the tribe, and get reservation benefits.

BroadwayBlue

Out of curiousity ... I thought deeds on gravesites were for 99 years.
What happens after that?

I recall reading that I thought on a deed for a gravesite for someone in my family.
Maybe it was regarding the lease the cemetary has on the land.

Last edited:

JohnnyQuest515

I suppose they are taking the Cemetery by eminent domain and basically do as they please. Some years ago here in Texas they relocated a cemetery due to a new lake going in but not for a highway.

I would contact anyone and everyone if possible including your state representatives and the Governor's office.

Here the land for a cemetery is bought and a deed received, the plot is on a map or survey is given with meets and bounds just like your house.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Randy

franklinair

Since the cemetary dates back so far, you may be able to demand an archeological survey. Arlie's comment about Native American burial sites is correct. We had to do this type of survey for our airport expansion. Cost was about $1 million, and 6 months time. That might encourage the state to divert the road.
When Native American burial sites were found, the state had to come to terms with the Cherokee tribes (which they did). I don't see how early settlers (first generation Americans) would have fewer rights.

Neil

Mosesatm

I suppose they are taking the Cemetery by eminent domain and basically do as they please. Some years ago here in Texas they relocated a cemetery due to a new lake going in but not for a highway.

I would contact anyone and everyone if possible including your state representatives and the Governor's office.

Here the land for a cemetery is bought and a deed received, the plot is on a map or survey is given with meets and bounds just like your house.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Randy

Land is so valuable in San Francisco that every grave was moved out of town and it's illegal to establish a new cemetery there, so municipalities do move burials if there is a reason they feel is important.

Rich, the company I work for doesn't own cemeteries in New York because we own funeral homes and it's illegal there to own both, so I'm not familiar with the NY statues but as far as I know there are no leases anywhere in the US. When someone purchases an interment right it's forever. New York is a weird place, though, so you may be correct!

Some European countries lease their cemetery spaces for 25 years at a time.

I really like Neil's idea. Don't fight it head-on. Instead, make it so expensive for them that they abandon the idea on their own. Also, every state has some sort of funeral or cemetery oversight agency. Be sure to contact that agency with your concerns.

BroadwayBlue

Rich, the company I work for doesn't own cemeteries in New York because we own funeral homes and it's illegal there to own both, so I'm not familiar with the NY statues but as far as I know there are no leases anywhere in the US. When someone purchases an interment right it's forever. New York is a weird place, though, so you may be correct! ...

Well, I guess kinda sorta :grin:

Some European countries lease their cemetery spaces for 25 years at a time.

And then what? :undecided