• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Marti Report Surprise!!

hookedtrout

Finally got my Marti Report. And I didn't think there would be any surprises but low and behold I was wrong. The surprise, it was released the day before my birthday and it was sold in the same little town that I was born in, Driggs, Idaho through Grand Teton Motors. It started life in the same little town in the shadows of the Grand Tetons that I started life.

It also had Chrome Styled Steel wheels which came as a little surprise to me, it had mag wheels when I bought it so I had no idea what the original wheels were, I picked up some argent styled steel quite a few years ago, guess I'll be looking for some chrome now.

I guess the rest in a nut shell, it's unmolested as everything is the same as it was sold short of the tires and wheels and yes it is a California Special as I've always known. I'll get the Marti posted when I get home.

PonyGal

Looks like you and this car were meant to be together...

What a wonderful coincidence!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Very cool! I love hearing stories like this. That kind of connection to your car is a big part of why this hobby is so enjoyable.

robert campbell

Cory,
You are a lucky man! My guess is that car will never leave the family! You seem to shed a tear as easy as I do! Nothing wrong with that!

Rob

gofastguy

This is the GOOD kind of Marti surprise! I'm surprised that it took so long to obtain. It doesn't seem to be a lot different from the easy to get version.

rvrtrash

Cory, I just picked up a spare set of 4 chrome GT wheels. No caps or rings and I need to repaint the outside of the rims, but if you want them for what I paid ($100), they're yours. No charge for the painting.

Steve

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Cory, I just picked up a spare set of 4 chrome GT wheels. No caps or rings and I need to repaint the outside of the rims, but if you want them for what I paid ($100), they're yours. No charge for the painting.

Steve

If the chrome is in decent shape I'll take them. Rob's holding me some GT Caps. Right Rob?

rvrtrash

They look nice under the grime but let me get them cleaned up, painted and polished and I'll email you with some pics. Are you going to Bellevue? You could swing through here and grab them or I could bring them there for you.

Steve

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

I'm not going to make the trip to Bellevue I've got fly fishermen coming in around that same time frame. Take a look at your schedule and if there's a time you're up for a road trip down let me know when, I've got the RV out back all hooked up and ready for visitors or we may just look over our schedule and take a trip your way if we can get it worked in, I've wanted to head up that way, how far are you from the big amusement park? Jace would love that.

rvrtrash

Silverwood http://www.silverwoodthemepark.com/ is about 25 miles from me. If he likes big water slides and big roller coasters he'll have a blast. I usually embarress my grandkids by having more fun then they do when I take them there.

Steve

somethingspecial

Outer rims on Chrome wheels are black.

Steve

Steve, You may already know this, but the outer rims on Chrome wheels are painted rally black, not argent grey. Mike

rvrtrash

Steve, You may already know this, but the outer rims on Chrome wheels are painted rally black, not argent grey. Mike

Well I knew they were black, but I've always just repainted my rims with NAPA Chassis Black. It seems to match Ford rim color and it's pretty durable paint. I'll check and see how much difference there is. Thanks Mike.

Steve

somethingspecial

Steve, They may be Chassis black. All the examples I have seen were a flat black and Rally black was the best match for me. The examples I have seen were used wheels and may have just been oxidized making them look flat. Anyone else have any insight. Mike

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Great info as we learn along the way but don't sweat it for me where I'm buying them, no concourse future for me. Any old black will do or no paint at all for that matter, I can paint them if you don't have time, I'll soon have a great big shop to play in. ;-)

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Got my framed and matted ultimate version of the Marti report delivered yesterday for hanging on the wall. They got my car to a 1 of 1 and it's the chrome styled steel wheels that Steve is going to sell me to get it back to complete originality that got it there.

My wife was really impressed, it's a one of one? YEP!!

rvrtrash

I thought you'd like to see what "your" rims looked like and what they will look like. I finished one up. I tried taking this picture several times, but the chrome kept reflecting the black outer rim and vice versa, so you have to use your imagination a little. It looks much better in person. Congrats on the 1 of 1, and I hope these will do you proud once I'm finished.

Steve

Attachments

• rim.jpg
    rim.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 40

CaliGirl68

Awesome story. I had a '67 Coupe that was built at the same time my Grandfather worked at the San Jose plant, even if he never touched it, he could have.