• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lift with your legs!!!

miller511

Hi all,

My son and I pulled the engine on the CS Friday evening. All went well.

After mounting the engine to the stand, then getting the heads and oil pan pulled off. It was time to see what size bores were on this ol' (69 casting date) 302. They ended up being .030" over. This wasn't too much of a surprise considering the vintage of the block.

What's surprising is the shape that the cylinder bores are in. I expected a whole lot of wear on the cylinder walls.

There is still a lot of cross hatch pattern from the honing process. It was leaking oil from the rear seal and also burning a bunch from the valves.

For the experts out there- Do the cyliner walls look good/ useable without re-boring?

Note: Last year, I tested the compression and they came out at about 150-160 psi which (from everything I've read, is good).

Still thinking about a course of action on the block.

Here's a few pics-

-Jeff

Attachments

• MustangEngine 017a.JPG
    MustangEngine 017a.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 41
  • MustangEngine 018a.JPG
    MustangEngine 018a.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 41
  • MustangEngine 029a.JPG
    MustangEngine 029a.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 47
  • MustangEngine 039a.JPG
    MustangEngine 039a.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 35

rvrtrash

My personal opinion is you have to "mic" the bores. If they are still round, with no taper, and the proper diameter, you can reuse the block without machining. If not, you don't want to punch the block out again, because the walls will be to thin and you will have overheating problems. .040" over is the most you can go and most shops (around here anyway) don't want to try a .010" overbore because it's too hard to get it lined up exactly to take out any deviation in the bore.

Steve

P.S. Hope everyone is having a joyful Christmas

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Thanks Steve,

I hadn't considered the roundness issue with the cylinder bores.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!!

-Jeff