• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood Clearance

robert campbell

Struggling to get supercharger under the hood with a robust aircleaner. And I need another inch for water methanol sprayer later. I would have cut it already but do not want to cut perfectly good hood and not achieve what I want.

Joe is helping and giving me some final thoughts this weekend. I am leaning towards this. It is on a 65 in the pic, but they make one for a 67/68

https://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/product.php?productid=9274&cat=2350&page=1&js=n

Rob

joedls

Here's what I have, Rob. My filter is 9" dia., 2 1/2" tall at the center of the lid. Closer to 2" at the edge. I have a 5/8" spacer. I started out with a 1" spacer and had someone add some material to the outside of it because it didn't quite seal up the opening and at the same time I had them mill it down to 5/8" in height. Here are some pics of the filter, the home-made base I made, and the spacer.

Base2.jpg

Base.jpg

Base3.jpg

Filter.jpg

Filterheight.jpg

Carbspacer.jpg

rvrtrash

The 68-1/2 Cobra-Jet look (like Joe's hood) is cool, but if you don't want to cut the hood, I've always liked the 68 Shelby hood with the scoops. I don't know how much higher it is, but it's got to be a couple of inches. If you went with a larger diameter air filter, you could cut the height a little and still have the same surface area. You could also use a stock air cleaner base, or build something, that dropped the filter lower than the carb so it didn't stick up so high. Other than that, the hood you picked looks good also. Just some ramblin' thoughts.

Steve

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Joe,
Thanks for the pics! Looks like the same height filter I am looking at in 14 inch diameter with a drop base. I like Steve's thought of the 68 Shelby hood. It kinda completes a GT/CS to make it look like a Shelby coupe. May try to measure one. The ramjet hood is way tall. And way cool too. Hmmmmmm.

rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Joe,
I looked closer and see what you mean about your spacer. That was alot of material you added. Wish they would not have made the supercharger fit a "spread bore" design carb. It makes sealing to it a challange to say the least.

Rob