• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Headlight/Foglight problem

CALIF GIRL

My foglights work perfect when I turn on the foglights. If I turn on only the headlights my passenger side foglight comes on.

Any suggestions?

rvrtrash

Well you've managed to come up with a problem that I can't say "Go look at this" with any certainty. This is one I would have to trouble shoot in person but since I can't here's a one chance in a million guess. It sounds like the ground wire from your headlight is contacting the hot wire to your foglight and the chassis ground is loose or corroded. Look where the wiring harness goes through the gravel guard support bracket and make sure there are no pinched or bare wires and that everything is plugged in securely. In fact unplug the connections one at a time and plug them back in. Find where the ground terminal screws to the body and make sure it's clean and tight. I hate to even type this but it's all I can think of on short notice. I'll think about it some more but I think you got me on this one.
Steve

P

PNewitt

Steve's probably right. This requires getting a good look at the schematic for a '68 GT Mustang.

Both the foglights and headlights will also turn on the taillights. It's somewhere in the middle (a la short) that's got that one foglight to come on.

Get a good look at how the foglight wiring is. The pigtails to the foglights (same as GT lights) are part of the same harness as the headlights. A wire inside that harness might be touching "something".

If this continues, you might fry the innards of the headlight switch.

Keep us posted as to what is happening. Headlights and fog lights are items that work without the key turned in the ignition.

Paul N.

hookedtrout

PNewitt said:
Headlights and fog lights are items that work without the key turned in the ignition.

Paul N.

How true that is, I can't count how many times I've went out over the years to go somewhere in the CS and found the battery dead. Couldn't figure out why, finally found the fog lights on from the kids and with the light covers you wouldn't notice they were on in the garage.

Cory