• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Headers Heat

case12

Mike, Joe,

I did not want to hijack Arlie's engine repair thread with this question. So here it goes.

On that thread you both mentioned header heat. I have two problems, one of which I solved.

One of my header tubes is very close to the brake master cylinder. It used to boil over fluid until I figured out what was going on, and wrapped the header pipe with the heat insulation stuff (I forget the name - it looks like burlap). It worked.

Now - I read recently in Mustang Monthly, or another Mustang magazine that headers can also cause starter problems. Especially as the starter cools down. I guess the heating and cooling causes the starter to get a "bad spot". After cooling, I get what appears to be a dead battery start, but it always eventually turns over - but it scares me that I may become stranded.

In another thread on this site, I discussed the problem, and we thought it was the battery. I bought a new battery - same problem. I have changed the starter - same problem.

So, what do you guys (and anyone else) know about header tubes too close to the starter causing starter problems. Maybe I just use some header wrap and the problem will disappear (an answer to a 3 year prayer).

Casey

joedls

I've been running headers on my convertible for almost 2 years now. I have a hi-torque mini starter and I wrapped it with a starter blanket. No problems so far for me.

My GT/CS has the same headers and a regular starter. I intend to wrap it with a starter blanket. I just haven't gotten to it yet. So far no problems, but I've only been driving it this way for a few days.

68gt390

Casey;
I agree with Joe. Try running a big block with headers and the heat will fry a starter very quickly. I've replaced both my factory staters in both my cars with a mini-starter and as Joe did, both are wrapped with a heat blanket.

Don :cool:

somethingspecial

I have never experienced it with a Ford, but my experience with Chevy's has been the hot header cooks the starter. I went throught 3 starters before someone told me about a heat shield made for just that (I got one from the local Chevy dealer). It bolts up to the starter bolts and is just a sheet metal shield that deflects the heat away from the starter. I hope this helps. I don't know if someone makes a heat shield for a Ford or not. Check with your local Ford dealer. Mike

OP
OP
case12

case12

So I believe my question is answered, but it leads me to 2 others:

1. I am not familiar with a mini starter - where would I get one (for a 351W). What advantage is it over a normal starter (other than it is mini:smile: ).

2. I am not familiar with a starter blanket (is that what Paul linked to?). I suppose the blanket does not have the opposite effect of not allowing the starter to breathe? (I may answer my own question by saying that the starter doesnt run long enough to need to breathe).

I had another problem about a year ago that I solved too - the starter cable was too close to a header tube and evenutally melting - this does not help things either.

Thanks to everyone. As always you guys are great. Casey

P.S. Has anyone tried hooking a starter out of the car to 12 volts to see if it works? I did not have my head on straight when I tried that one. :icon_dead

joedls

1. I am not familiar with a mini starter - where would I get one (for a 351W). What advantage is it over a normal starter (other than it is mini:smile: ).

Summit Racing, Jeg's, or any speed shop.

2. I am not familiar with a starter blanket (is that what Paul linked to?). I suppose the blanket does not have the opposite effect of not allowing the starter to breathe? (I may answer my own question by saying that the starter doesnt run long enough to need to breathe).

I haven't had any problems with mine.

rvrtrash

P.S. Has anyone tried hooking a starter out of the car to 12 volts to see if it works? I did not have my head on straight when I tried that one. :icon_dead

I've done that, but I put it in a vise or in a pinch, put one foot firmly on it so it doesn't shoot across the floor. As long as you're prepared for the big spark when you hook up the cable it's not too bad. :eek:

Steve

OP
OP
case12

case12

OK - last weekend I installed the mini-starter and went ahead and put the blanket around it. I noticed my old starter was about 1/4 inch from the header, so you know it had to be getting hot. WOW! the mini starter makes a big difference! (other than sounding like a rice burner starter). I believe it has already solved my problem! Thanks for all the advice.

Now, I am trying to see if my trans oil pan is leaking because the header pipe collector is too close (about 2 inches). Maybe I will wrap the collector just to see if that helps too. Man, those things get really hot!

Thanks again, Casey

robert campbell

All,
One other possibility is ceramic coatings. Jet hot is one and in the Seattle area we have some company's that do this. You can have them in Ford blue, black, and a silver look. Significantly reduces the heat off headers. And they look much better. No rust or paint flaking. I have a hi-torque starter in my wagon with the 428 CJ. Works great, but Casey is right! Sounds like a cross between a rice burner and a Mopar! But it starts great!

Rob