• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

HCS Emissions ?

HCS@CT

Ok I know California Specials had smog control on them because of California's emissions laws. How about the Hight Country Specials ? Did they come with any emissions control equipment ? If so what cars came with what ie. 200ci., 302, 390, 428. I have a six and when I got it she was pretty complete but when I spoke with a national Mustang judge he aske me about what kind of smog equipment it had. He was more familair with the CS cars. Thanks for your help. Rand

Mosesatm

From what I've been able to figure out only manual transmission cars with California DSOs had the full smog setup.

Years ago a State smog Nazi in San Diego told me that my 4-speed GT/CS had to have the smog pump and all the other stuff before he would certify it. He then said that if the car was an automatic I would have been ok.

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

Well my HCS is a 3 speed, I wonder if it was only California cars that had the emissions back then. Or did other states have it too. I would prefer not to have any. For one it robs power and my six dosn't have much to spair, plus I don't think that old stuff did much if anything for emissions anyway.

68MustangHCS

HCS@CT said:
Ok I know California Specials had smog control on them because of California's emissions laws. How about the Hight Country Specials ? Did they come with any emissions control equipment ? If so what cars came with what ie. 200ci., 302, 390, 428. I have a six and when I got it she was pretty complete but when I spoke with a national Mustang judge he aske me about what kind of smog equipment it had. He was more familair with the CS cars. Thanks for your help. Rand

Both of my 68 HCS's have no indication of SMOG equipment. They both are 289's with manual transmissions.

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

Thats good to know it's looking more and more like the HCS cars did'nt have emissions. Thanks for your reply.

BroadwayBlue

I still have the Smog equipment on my 3-speed CS.
I also heard or read that only manuals had it.
Actually, Arlie may have been the one that told me that. :smile:

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

It looks like all CS cars had it but none of the HCSs did. And thats fine with me I didnt want to put it on anyway.

rvrtrash

I'd have to agree with Arlie. My CS has a Calif. DSO but was shipped to Hawaii. It's a 302 with auto. and was very complete-low mileage when I bought it and there is no indication that it ever had any smog equip. on it.
Steve

hicountrybob

HCS@CT said:
It looks like all CS cars had it but none of the HCSs did. And thats fine with me I didnt want to put it on anyway.
After all these years, I only have 1 '68 HCS in the registry with the smog stuff. This car is 8R01J169377, unrestored and belongs to my good friend Russ Stearns, who has had the car since the late '70's. This is a J code, four speed car. We've often wondered if this car was to be a CS??? but somehow was DSO'd 51 to become a HCS. Thanks for your post, HC BOB here.

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

Well if HCS cars don't have any emissions I should be getting the last missing pieces for my engine in the mail today. The missing heat shroud and riser tube. Do you know how hard it was to find those things, for a reasonable price? For used it spaned from $45 to $350. And only a handfull of places even had them. I would hate to think what NOS would go for if anyone had it. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they sent the right parts. I'll know when I get home. I'll post some Pic's of my six banger engine when I get it all painted and put back togather. Thanks again guys for all the help.

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

Well so much for getting the right parts. The didn't send any riser tube and they sent me a shroud from a "66. What a pain in the rear end. I hate dealing with salvage yards in other states. So I'm back on the hunt for a heat shroud and riser tube for a "68 200ci. Anyone got one?

OP
OP
H

HCS@CT

I got em. Another salvage yard had bolth parts still togather. The guy even sent pic's of the parts so I could be sure. I got bolth for $60 in great shape so I feel pretty good about this one. Nice people too. I would recomend them to anyone. So if you need any parts email Del at del911@aol.com . Props for Del

Last edited: