• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Get the Exciting 2008 Mustang Brochure!

davidathans

If he were smart he'd bet on your car. With me you have an inexperienced driver and an untested car. As a matter of fact, one that isn't even tuned to its potential yet. You have proven and very well documented results.

BTW, that last video of you getting into the 11s is awesome.

thanks joe...

did you install a driveshaft safety loop on your car?

is your battery tied down securely?

do you have a helmet that is SNELL 2000?

do you have a radiator overflow canister?

do you have a shifter that has a reverse block off and wont let you start the car in gear?

I dont want you to get out to the track your first time and not be able to race....these are the questions they ask me at the tech inspection in Fontana...also you need to wear pants if your racing and you cannot wear a sleeveless shirt....i really want to know how quick your car will be...

i know you have as much if not more power than mine....but what is your final gear ratio? 31 spline axles? limited slip diff? you have an AOD trans right? Do you know what each respective gear ratio of your trans is? for example my c4 has 3 gears 2.46:1, 1:46:1, 1:1....what torque converter do you have on your car?

Midnight Special

If he were smart he'd bet on your car. With me you have an inexperienced driver and an untested car. As a matter of fact, one that isn't even tuned to its potential yet. You have proven and very well documented results.

BTW, that last video of you getting into the 11s is awesome.

True Joe, but you'll get there. First of all - you're not "inexperienced". Secondly; In talking w/ you at the BBQ - you had very innovative ideas re; achieving the same horsepower as David (and are acting on them) with a remaining challenge of ability to get traction. No one should expect (or bet;-) you will achieve 11 sec. within the first number of runs, but with persistence!...

Yep, right now, David is KING and he has a pretty thick wall around his castle.
Any betting I would do would be of the gentleman type, but really - I just want to see another excellent video that will feature both of your cars someday! (talk'bout a double-barrel shotgun;-)

Last edited:

joedls

thanks joe...

did you install a driveshaft safety loop on your car?

is your battery tied down securely?

do you have a helmet that is SNELL 2000?

do you have a radiator overflow canister?

do you have a shifter that has a reverse block off and wont let you start the car in gear?

I dont want you to get out to the track your first time and not be able to race....these are the questions they ask me at the tech inspection in Fontana...also you need to wear pants if your racing and you cannot wear a sleeveless shirt....i really want to know how quick your car will be...

i know you have as much if not more power than mine....but what is your final gear ratio? 31 spline axles? limited slip diff? you have an AOD trans right? Do you know what each respective gear ratio of your trans is? for example my c4 has 3 gears 2.46:1, 1:46:1, 1:1....what torque converter do you have on your car?

Yes on everything except for the driveshaft loop, but I'll make sure to get it installed before I show up at the track. I have a trac-lock with 3.50 gears but have purchased 4.11s to have installed. I just didn't want to do it before I drove to and from Grass Valley. My gears are 2.40, 1.47, 1, & .67. I'm running a 28 inch tall drag radial. I have a stock rear suspension with KYBs and Traction Masters traction bars. My engine was installed rearward by 2" and I have coilovers in the front with adjustable ride-height & dampening. My plan would be to use your end-link removal trick, adjust the ride-height as high as it will go (I think I can raise it another 1 1/2") and adjust the shocks to their softest setting. I'm sure I would never hit OD. With the gears I have in it now it wouldn't reach 6000 RPM until somewhere north of 140 MPH. With 4.11s it would be just north of 120 MPH.

davidathans

your probably in the same boat as i am...in that you want a street/strip car...not just a drag car...You have a Ford 9"? i have 4.11's in my rear...but im running a 26" tire....but my goal rpm is around 6500....is your peak hp around 6000rpm? if so...then i think your right in going with the 4.11s with your 28" tires i think you'll be close to turning 6000rpm in your 3rd gear...but hey i guess if you get close to overrevving you could always shift one more time haha....i wish i had that extra gear....if i can remember correctly...the driveshaft safety loop will mount to some bolts that are already sticking through the floor, at least thats where we mounted it on my car...

i think everyone on this website will love that drag racing video of you and me flying down the drag strip when it happens....looking forward to it

Mustanger

... I'm sure I would never hit OD. With the gears I have in it now it wouldn't reach 6000 RPM until somewhere north of 140 MPH. With 4.11s it would be just north of 120 MPH.

Joe,
In my '95 conv. I had a Art Carr modified AODE which allowed the driver to disable the OD by pressing a button ... this was a stock feature from the factory. Are you able to do that with an AOD? ...

joedls

Joe,
In my '95 conv. I had a Art Carr modified AODE which allowed the driver to disable the OD by pressing a button ... this was a stock feature from the factory. Are you able to do that with an AOD? ...
I'm using the stock shifter. If I don't want it to shift into OD, I just keep it in 2.

Mustanger

AOD 1-D-1 shuffle ...

I'm using the stock shifter. If I don't want it to shift into OD, I just keep it in 2.

Have you ever seen this ...

Because the "D" position on an AOD is both second and third gear, the only way to hold second gear in a stock AOD is to shift from the 1 to D position, then immediately back to 1. When you are ready for third gear, move the shifter back to "D". This process is rumored to accelerate clutch band wear in the AOD, however a Trans Go shift-kit apparantly enables you to do the shuffle without hurting the transmission. We've been doing this regularly with the high-mileage AOD (with Trans Go shift kit) in our '88LX, and have experienced no problems.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/01/92LX/index.shtml

http://www.mustangforums.com/archive/threads/1-d-1-shuffle-3547314-1.html

... if your tranny is "beefed up" then it may be able to handle this, if not, then you'll have some wear-n-tear ... but you'll go faster!!! ...

joedls

Because the "D" position on an AOD is both second and third gear, the only way to hold second gear in a stock AOD is to shift from the 1 to D position, then immediately back to 1. When you are ready for third gear, move the shifter back to "D". This process is rumored to accelerate clutch band wear in the AOD, however a Trans Go shift-kit apparantly enables you to do the shuffle without hurting the transmission. We've been doing this regularly with the high-mileage AOD (with Trans Go shift kit) in our '88LX, and have experienced no problems.

... if your tranny is "beefed up" then it may be able to handle this, if not, then you'll have some wear-n-tear ... but you'll go faster!!! ...

No I hadn't, but I'm not using the AOD shifter. I'm using the shifter that came in the GT/CS. I have had it in 2 and it didn't shift into OD, but I also haven't gotten the car up to the 5500 RPMs it seems to want to shift at naturally under acceleration. But it also didn't shift into OD when I backed off the way it normally does when I have it in D. That's why I think it will hold 3rd gear.

joedls

I just re-read this. I'm not trying to hold second gear. With the valve-body I have it shifts from 2-3 about 5500 RPM. I can live with that. I want to hold 3rd gear and I think I achieve that by keeping it in 2 with my stock shifter.

davidathans

I just re-read this. I'm not trying to hold second gear. With the valve-body I have it shifts from 2-3 about 5500 RPM. I can live with that. I want to hold 3rd gear and I think I achieve that by keeping it in 2 with my stock shifter.

Hey joe...earlier i asked you if your car had a reverse block off on the shifter and would not start in gear and you said yes

I dont know if they will let you race with your stock shifter because it does not prevent you from shifting into R...tell me if im mistaken...i could be wrong about them not letting you race also...but i just dont want to see you go out there and not be able to race....and i think you should buy a new shifter...and adjust the valve body in your trans so that you can shift past 5500...forget about all this mickey mouse stuff about 1-D-1...just spend the money and get a bad ass shifter...i have the B&M Pro Ratchet shifter and i think its pretty decent

joedls

Hey joe...earlier i asked you if your car had a reverse block off on the shifter and would not start in gear and you said yes

I dont know if they will let you race with your stock shifter because it does not prevent you from shifting into R...tell me if im mistaken...i could be wrong about them not letting you race also...but i just dont want to see you go out there and not be able to race....and i think you should buy a new shifter...and adjust the valve body in your trans so that you can shift past 5500...forget about all this mickey mouse stuff about 1-D-1...just spend the money and get a bad ass shifter...i have the B&M Pro Ratchet shifter and i think its pretty decent

The stock shifter does prevent you from shifting into R unless you press a button in the handle. Like I said, the stock shifter will hold 3rd gear, just not 2nd. I'm OK with that for now.

joedls

The valvebody I installed from TCI took care of these problems for me for normal driving. I can almost control my shiftpoint into OD with the way I accelerate. If I'm accelerating hard it won't shift into OD at any speed that I've driven, but if it shifts at the same point that 2-3 does during hard acceleration it would be somewhere around 130 MPH.