• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Gas tank capacity

mbsf1970

16 gallons right? I filled up today and the needle indicated 1/8 of a tank left (anything under a quarter tank means empty to me!!) and yet it only took roughly 8 gallons before pump clicked......weird?
Does that last 1/8 last forever?

Stephen

About to do a "mufflerectomy" on my car tomorrow. Its got flowthrough mufflers and it rumbles too loudly for my liking. So tomorrow "Doug" goes under the knife for quieter mufflers. While I'm at it, I'm lopping off the fat quad tips in favour of the (half as big) correct quad angle-cut tips. Next year, I'll get a correct valance (with cut outs), have it prepped and painted and then properly align the newer more modest tips.
Front valance paint is chipping away due to no primer (tyvm po!) so it'll have to get doe then as well.

franklinair

Gas tanks & quantity transmitters can be a PITA:
The filler necks sometimes cause a restriction if you pump gas too rapidly causing the fuel to 'backup', shutting off the fuel nozzle. Gotta pump it slowly until full.
The quantity transmitters are notoriously poor quality (some are better than others). Sometimes the float leaks, sinking, and causing erroneous readings.
Some transmitters have erroneous resistance or poor electrical contact, causing erroneous readings. I've heard pro & con about Scott Drake units.
Transmitter installation & calibration is another subject...
I'm going to install a 1970 22 gallon tank in my current project, for longer cruise range.

Neil

stangfan

Pretty sure the 16 gallons was a US measure. We had imperial gallons up here in Canada. Did you use the right conversion formula when you did your calculation from litres to gallons? :wink:

NosAvrenim

I'm going to install a 1970 22 gallon tank in my current project, for longer cruise range.

Neil

Neil,
That was the first mod that I did to my "X" code. With the way she gulps gas, 16gal just wasn't anywhere near enough.
That said, my fuel gauge now reads "E" after ~14gal (with 7-8gal left in her) and never quite gets to "F" -- only about 7/8 of the way there.
I've gone through several Scott Drake sending units and tried trouble-shooting the connections between the gauge and unit without any luck improving the accuracy.
Any thoughts you have on how to get the gauge/unit to be more accurate?

~Nate

franklinair

Do a search for Fuel sending unit. The thread is several years ago, but some really good info. Rob & Steve wrote some insightful tricks: checking/adjusting resistor value and bending the float arm. Good info.

Neil

CougarCJ

Neil,
That was the first mod that I did to my "X" code. With the way she gulps gas, 16gal just wasn't anywhere near enough.
That said, my fuel gauge now reads "E" after ~14gal (with 7-8gal left in her) and never quite gets to "F" -- only about 7/8 of the way there.
I've gone through several Scott Drake sending units and tried trouble-shooting the connections between the gauge and unit without any luck improving the accuracy.
Any thoughts you have on how to get the gauge/unit to be more accurate?

~Nate

Your original C8ZF ... sending unit will not work accurately with anything but a 16 gallon fuel tank.
If you are using a 20 gallon fuel tank, I would use the C9ZF sending unit.
For either of the 1970 fuel tanks (20 gallon Calif. or 22 gallon 49 State), use the D0ZF sending unit.
This picture shows the sending units in order left to right 1968, 1969, and 1970. You can see that the arm for the float is different between the years, although the 1969 and 1970 version are very close.

lenta

mystery

My (new) 16 gallon gas tank pump it slowly until full is...9 gallon and not a drop more, the needle indicates 1/3 full.
The car needs some education in math:grin:

What is going on?

franklinair

I'm more concerned about accuracy when the fuel level is getting low. When I installed the 22 gallon tank & sending unit I put in a measured 5 gallons to check accuracy on the low side. Had to then drain the tank and adjusted the float arm. Now, with 5 gallons in the tank the gauge reads 1/4 (in a 22 gallon tank). When I filled the tank the needle is right on the Full mark.

Neil

lenta

Are there fuel baffles inside the (standard 16 gallon) tank?
Must be a reason for holding only 9 gallon instead of the factory 16 gallon.
But where is my other 7...

Ellen

Joeymiami

Mine is the same. When my gauge reads just below 1/4 tank, it takes 8.4 gallons to fill it up. So when I am at 1/4, I technically still have about 8 gallons left. Should be reading 1/2 tank at that point.