• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Frame Enhancement/Modification ?

68Fan

Does anyone have a opinion about a "Sub-frame Connector"? The CS I'm looking at has a 3"ish round "Sub-frame Connector". This is the first I've seen and wanted to hear the an expert(s) opinion.

Mosesatm

I think Joe recently installed a set on his car. You out there Joe?

nfrntau

All of the Eleanors Shelby is building have them. I have kicked this one around also and haven't ever come up with a serious pro or con for the driving I expect to do.
I'm interested on hearing some good input on this issue also.
Cheers

joedls

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2140;start=0#msg14461 date=1126750212]
[/quote]

I used Global West subframe connectors. They are definitely 3" tubing, more like 1 1/4" - 1 1/2". They fit very nicely, tight up against the frame. They don't hang way down like some I've seen. I installed them because I didn't want my engine with 425 lb-ft to flex the body. So far, so good ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• Subframe.JPG
    Subframe.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 45

joedls

[quote author=joedls link=board=1;threadid=2140;start=0#msg14465 date=1126753680]
[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2140;start=0#msg14461 date=1126750212]
[/quote]

I used Global West subframe connectors. They are definitely 3" tubing, more like 1 1/4" - 1 1/2". They fit very nicely, tight up against the frame. They don't hang way down like some I've seen. I installed them because I didn't want my engine with 425 lb-ft to flex the body. So far, so good ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Another pic

Attachments

• Subframe2.JPG
    Subframe2.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP

68Fan

Joe... Your car looks great. I'm guessing the 3" questimate was probably a little high but I would suspect they are between 2 and 3 inches.

Do you have more pics in the Gallery?

joedls

[quote author=68Fan link=board=1;threadid=2140;start=0#msg14467 date=1126754176]
Joe... Your car looks great. I'm guessing the 3" questimate was probably a little high but I would suspect they are between 2 and 3 inches.

[/quote]

I have pics of my GT/CS in the gallery, but this car is my 65 convertible restomod. My GT/CS is on the second page of the Gallery. Its Wimbledon White with black striping, under the name Joe DeLosSantos.

Attachments

• 90305_2.JPG
    90305_2.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 15

p51

[quote author=joedls link=board=1;threadid=2140;start=0#msg14465 date=1126753680]
[/quote]

[/quote]

How was the "before" vs "after"? Better handling? Tighter feel to the car? I'm mainly interested in adding subframe connectors for two reasons:
(1) Handling
(2) To remove all those creaks and groans you get from circa 60's unibody cars.

From what I've read on the web the Global West seem to be the best connectors. Looked at TCP and others and GW seems to be the easiest to install. Anyone have additional input on this?

Still trying to get a 1998 driving experience from a 1968 car ;)

Mustanger

[quote author=CalPaul link=board=1;threadid=2140;start=0#msg14460 date=1126749591]
I'm curious also. Let the opinions roll!
[/quote]

Of all the suspension mods which can be performed on a uni-body car (especially a 40-ish year old car), subframe connectors are the best. They give you the most "bang-for-your-buck" ;). Mike Ruth (of Pro-Chassis, and now owner of Alston), when he restored the suspension on by Mach 1, stated that apart from replacing worn out bushings, springs and shocks, if you can only do 1 mod to your stock suspension, then add subframe connectors. You can buy inexpensive ones ( $80 - $100, or even homemade ones), or expensive ones, and you'll improve performance for road racing, drag racing, and overall reliability/reinforcement of a unibody design.
Also, to best implement subframe connectors, which are a structural support modifing a unibody into a full chassis (almost ;)), you should weld them into place and not bolt them in like some vendors say you can do ;).

joedls

[quote author=P51 link=board=1;threadid=2140;start=0#msg14476 date=1126800442]

How was the "before" vs "after"? Better handling? Tighter feel to the car? I'm mainly interested in adding subframe connectors for two reasons:
(1) Handling
(2) To remove all those creaks and groans you get from circa 60's unibody cars.

From what I've read on the web the Global West seem to be the best connectors. Looked at TCP and others and GW seems to be the easiest to install. Anyone have additional input on this?

Still trying to get a 1998 driving experience from a 1968 car ;)
[/quote]

I really can't attribute the improvements to any one thing, because I installed subframe connectors, under-ride traction bars, KYB Gas-a-just shocks all around, a 1" front stabilizer bar, a 3/4" rear stabilizer bar, and added a Monte Carlo bar and front disc brakes. Both front and rear springs and upper and lower control arms were replaced shortly before I purchased the car and started the modifications. So, yes, it handles very well ;D ;D ;D

But how much difference the subframe connectors made ??? ??? ??? ???

joedls

[quote author=68Fan link=board=1;threadid=2140;start=0#msg14467 date=1126754176]

[/quote]

If you look at the pics, you will see that the tubing for the subframe connector is much smaller that the exhaust pipes, which are 2 1/2". This is why I estimated 1 1/4" to 1 1/2".

p51

[quote author=joedls link=board=1;threadid=2140;start=0#msg14499 date=1126829717]

[/quote]

If you look at the pics, you will see that the tubing for the subframe connector is much smaller that the exhaust pipes, which are 2 1/2". This is why I estimated 1 1/4" to 1 1/2".
[/quote]

1 5/8" from the online spec (if these are the ones used)...

http://www.globalwestsuspension.com/cart/show_items.asp?CategoryID=61

...and it really does look nice!

di81977

This is an old thread, but I want to let everyone know that I just installed Global West Subframe Connectors on my HCS and they fit like a glove. I am very impressed. My only concern is that they might be too heavy duty, adding excess weight to the car.

After a year and a half and two engines, I will finally be off to the drag strip a week from Friday. I am hoping to be in the 13's with our altitude here in Denver.

david

PFSlim

We did not do this in our restoration, however, with the shape of our rear frame rails and front torque boxes, it would have been a great idea.

I think a very good idea for those who are doing a complete restoration and have frame or rocker panel problems.

Paul