• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Found an engine - What are the odds?

CougarCJ

Found a good used running engine for my J code GT/CS.

Hit my build date really close, too. :cheesy:

One of our local customers sold a rolling 1968 Cougar car body minus engine. He gave me first chance of refusal, knowing I was needing a 302-4V.

Complete 302-4V engine with all brackets and pulleys, C-4 transmission, correct carburetor (C8ZF-D) with spacer plate, and power steering pump. Complete, all vacuum fittings, exhaust manifolds, used exhaust system with original H-pipe. The only things I am not getting are the air cleaner, fan, and radiator.

Block, exhaust manifolds, and intake manifold are dated 8A16 to 8A22, distributor is dated 7M2x? Everything matches except the cylinder heads :sad:, those are 302 heads dated 1L19/1L22, dangit! Not a deal breaker however, I can live with those for the foreseeable future.

My GT/CS was actually built on Tuesday 2/06/68.
From all indications this engine was installed in the Dearborn built Cougar on Thursday 2/01/68. VIN stamped block too (Cougar VIN).

Mosesatm

And good timing, since the body and paint is complete!
Is the painted beauty in your hands yet?

robert campbell

Scott,
I have the nice air cleaner and a rough ehasut manifold duct up to it. cheap cheap cheap.... free!!

Rob

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Scott,
I have the nice air cleaner and a rough ehasut manifold duct up to it. cheap cheap cheap.... free!!

Rob

I appreciate the offer Rob, but, I have those items stock piled in my parts stash.

Sent you an email regarding the carburetor.

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

And good timing, since the body and paint is complete!
Is the painted beauty in your hands yet?

It is, but stored at a friends house a few miles away. I can't believe I forgot the camera when I picked it up.

Ruppstang

Scott,
I always say it is better to be luck than good! That is a great find. I can't wait to see the car complete. Marty