• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine stalls-die-misfire at times

gtcs1

Hi, I have a problem with my C Code engine as follows.

I thought it could be the carb or timing. Looking for advise. When I drive it after few minutes, it hesitates at time, not always. And this is at low speed, like 20-30 mph. It even died on me, then I restatred it, no problem. But the hesitation stayed, at time.

Just to be clearer, when I fell this hesitation it is like it doesn't want to fire. And this is only at time. Then for 30 sec, it's OK, then hesitation comes back for 5-10 sec.

As far as the carb, this is a recent Pony Carb overhaul. Timing was redone, new plugs, condenser and points. Everyting is stock on it.

In between hesitation, it looks OK. So I was thinking the timing and carb should be OK?

Any ideas where to look. Because at 20mph, I won't
go far for my rides....

Thanks
Pierre gtcs1

rvrtrash

Do you have a factory tach? Are the power and ground wires at the coil tight? Is the ground pigtail from the dist in good shape and not shorting out, inside or outside the dist?

Steve

franklinair

This happened to me many years ago. Turned out to be the points in the distributor.

Neil

OP
OP
G

gtcs1

Do you have a factory tach? Are the power and ground wires at the coil tight? Is the ground pigtail from the dist in good shape and not shorting out, inside or outside the dist?

Steve

No factory tach. What does the tach do in the equation?

I'll check the wires you're mentionning..

Do you concurr that if in between the misses, it turns and fires OK, that the carb and timing adjustment should be good?

green56

Engine stalls die misfire

I just had this sort of a problem I was going to change cars by my Daughters house I got 4 blocks form house and all of a sudden the car misfired stop running well I got it going and could not go over 2 mph I got it home and found the condenser was bad also replaced coil and found that a spark plug wire was broke the timing was fine I had my carb done by pony carb that was the first thing I thought but by changing the condenser in dist that and the ignition coil hope some of this helps Tom from WI

rvrtrash

Ford uses a two wire tach and the coil power goes through it. If the tach fails, your car dies.

I would have suggested condenser as well but you said it was new. Might try another just in case you got a bad one.

Carb and dist are probably OK. A timing light, dwell meter and vac gauge will give you most of the answers there.

Maine gt/cs

I had the same problem.Where the plug wires plug into the distributor cap, 2 plug wires were not fully pushed into the cap. Then regaped the points to 17. This is on a j code. Been running great ever since. Hope this helps.

Tim

OP
OP
G

gtcs1

Great feedback. Curious about condensor and coil. I thought these when they fail they would just stop. Because I get this misses on and off ? Is it possible?

Could it be also something wrong with the fuel system (pump) having low intermitent pressure that could explain some misses?

Thanks.

rvrtrash

They're just easier to troubleshoot when they fail completely, but they can fail slowly, "get weak", or degrade.

If the fuel pump was failing, it would steadily loose pressure until it failed completely (if it didn't fail completely right off the bat). You would feel like you were running out of gas, rather than misfiring.

You could still have other issues causing this. This is just where I would start looking. As always, troubleshooting from hundreds of miles away is a "best guess" proposition.

Steve

green56

When you find the problem I hope you let every one know so we can make a note of what you found in case someone else has the same or close to it Thanks Tom From WI

OP
OP
G

gtcs1

When you find the problem I hope you let every one know so we can make a note of what you found in case someone else has the same or close to it Thanks Tom From WI

Good point, will do for sure. Thanks.

robert campbell

chased a carb prob for a friend for a couple days. lots of re-jetting and adjusting and failure.....

Old distributer with points. Point gap nearly closed. Quick adjust..... bingo...

Rob