• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Drag racing your 07-08 GT/CS?

joedls

Anyone here doing it? If so, are you running drag radials, slicks, or street tires? Automatic or manual transmissions? Are you doing a big burn-out at the water box or just cleaning off your tires? Traction control on or off? How are you launching? 60 ft. times? 1/8th mile & 1/4 mile e.t.s and trap speeds?

I'm thinking about taking my car to the dragstrip and trying it out. I've never done it, but I think I'm just about ready to try. Any info you guys have would be appreciated.

davidathans

Street legal days at California Speedway in Fontana are:

Sat. June 14
Sat. July 12
Sat. August 16
Sun. Oct. 26
Sat. Dec. 6

Joe, let me know when you want to go...lets try to get LouieG to bring his 68 CS too

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

Street legal days at California Speedway in Fontana are:

Sat. June 14
Sat. July 12
Sat. August 16
Sun. Oct. 26
Sat. Dec. 6

Joe, let me know when you want to go...lets try to get LouieG to bring his 68 CS too

I was thinking about June 14, but two of my kids have a piano recital in the afternoon. What time do you usually get out of there?

Ladystang

Hubby ran ours in Maryland a few times. 1/4 mile. Did fairly well for a stock, automatic with a 'older' driver I think. He did 13.9. Won't be racing it much, but he had fun doing it in Maryland with GOOTC group from the Badmustangsclub.

davidathans

I was thinking about June 14, but two of my kids have a piano recital in the afternoon. What time do you usually get out of there?

Last time i was there i got in 3 runs

run 1 9:32am 12.069 at 111.45mph
run 2 10:28am 12.091 at 110.60mph
run 3 11:32am 11.989 at 111.79mph

then i left.

So depending on how crowded it will be...you might be able to get in 3 runs before noon...you could leave in the afternoon.

You need a helmet, battery hold down, and drive shaft safety loop

We should see if LouieG can make it June 14.

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

Last time i was there i got in 3 runs

run 1 9:32am 12.069 at 111.45mph
run 2 10:28am 12.091 at 110.60mph
run 3 11:32am 11.989 at 111.79mph

then i left.

So depending on how crowded it will be...you might be able to get in 3 runs before noon...you could leave in the afternoon.

You need a helmet, battery hold down, and drive shaft safety loop

We should see if LouieG can make it June 14.

David,

My understanding is that I only need a drive shaft loop if I am running slicks or faster that 11.50, so I don't think I'll need it. Louie, you out there? Let's go on the June 14.

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

i read over the rules and the part about the drive shaft safety loop is gone, so it doesnt say...they always ask me if i have it though...

well you will definitely need a helmet SNELL 2000 or later...

you might want to look over the rules

http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/dragwayrules/

alright so were planning on going on the 14th of june

I'm in. Anyone else? Louie?

davidathans

Drop your clutch in 2nd gear for the burnout for more tire speed to get those babies heated up...go on the 3rd yellow dont wait for green, if you start to fish tail, get out of it...its not worth crashing...keep accelerating just past the traps because the top speed is determined by taking the average of two points: 66 ft in front of the 1320ft line and 66ft after...bring an ice bag for your supercharger for the pits...drop your tire pressure to maybe 25lbs or less...i'll check on that figure for you...those are some pretty good tips

GTCS07

I'll be taking mine up to N.E. dragway for Fun Ford Weekend in Aug. I hope to run mid 12's by then. I think a loop is a good idea in any event but especially with 2 piece driveshafts. I haven't changed mine yet.

di81977

I took my '68 HCS out racing last night. A friend of one of our club members brought out his 07 GT for the 1st time. Well his car was stock except for a whipple supercharger (pretty significant addition). Amazingly he ran 13.3 on his first run, 13.0 on his second, and 12.8 on his third....all at 5800 feet above sea level and on street tires. The 12.8 is approx equivalent to 11.8 at sea level. I was impressed.

Good luck on the 14th and have fun racing.

David

davidathans

Well i got the green light to go drag racing with Joedls and a couple other friends(97 Cobra, 2004 Mach I) this saturday, when i got the call from Bob Jennings dyno shop to bring in the CS for some dyno tuning on thursday.

I'm hoping to have a friend videotape a competitive drag race between me and joe (i'm not going to bring my slicks). Joe is making 425RWHP and i'm only making 384RWHP, but with the differences in weight, traction, gearing, transmissions, and drag racing skills...you never know who will win...

Will this be the first race between a 68 GTCS and a 2007 GTCS? if so, it might be considered a historical event and might be worthy for Paul's GTCS Recognition Guide DVD! What do you think Paul?

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

Well i got the green light to go drag racing with Joedls and a couple other friends(97 Cobra, 2004 Mach I) this saturday, when i got the call from Bob Jennings dyno shop to bring in the CS for some dyno tuning on thursday.

I'm hoping to have a friend videotape a competitive drag race between me and joe (i'm not going to bring my slicks). Joe is making 425RWHP and i'm only making 384RWHP, but with the differences in weight, traction, gearing, transmissions, and drag racing skills...you never know who will win...

Will this be the first race between a 68 GTCS and a 2007 GTCS? if so, it might be considered a historical event and might be worthy for Paul's GTCS Recognition Guide DVD! What do you think Paul?

I can't wait and am very excited about my first drag racing experience!!!! I have no illusions about winning. Just wanna have a good time and have the experience. BTW, David, my car now makes 447 RWHP. :wink:

case12

I want to do a Mustang Times article on this!

This is awesome.

You guys PM me. I want to do an article on each of your cars and then the race for MT - this will be a sweet Mustang Times article. Make sure to get lots of pictures (glamour shots and race shots - and engine shots - and photos of yourself next to your car). And keep all the data slips and photo those for the article. I also want to refer to myspace video, so hopefully you guys will have someone videoing this!

Please let me know - this will be a really awesome. Casey

GTCS07

A video link from this site would be cool as well. I'd love to see that! My money is on the '07 but since Joe is new to racing it could go either way. Both cars are winners anyway.

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

This is awesome.

You guys PM me. I want to do an article on each of your cars and then the race for MT - this will be a sweet Mustang Times article. Make sure to get lots of pictures (glamour shots and race shots - and engine shots - and photos of yourself next to your car). And keep all the data slips and photo those for the article. I also want to refer to myspace video, so hopefully you guys will have someone videoing this!

Please let me know - this will be a really awesome. Casey

So who's going to be our official photographer?

OP
OP
joedls

joedls

447RWHP...looks like im bringing my slicks now, going to need them to even have a chance

I'm going to try to ask one of my friends to videotape it and take some pictures

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, David. Not only am I inexperienced, but my tire size and gears are all wrong for the 1/4 mile. I'll have to shift into 4th gear ~105 MPH. I could set my rev limiter to 6600 RPM and push 3rd gear to ~110MPH, but with 9.5 lbs. of boost and stock bottom end I'm kinda scared of those toothbrush-sized rods.