• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Doors won’t open

whodat

Both doors wouldn’t open after they were locked. I got them open.
What would be the best option, lubricating the latches or replacing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklinair

Check the adjustments on the locking function rods inside the doors.
The locking function is canceled by either the door key or lifting the door lever inside the car.

Neil

P.S. How were you able to get the doors open?

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

f128c82d3e90f282c077ea6dd43440a8.jpg

This cleaned up real good with brake cleaner.

Last edited:

stangfan

I had that happen once with a 67 Fastback project car. Luckily a friend of mine was small enough that he was able to go in through the trunk and trap door to open them from the inside. I took the locks to a locksmith and had them fixed.

franklinair

There's a video on UTUBE: I typed in 1968 Mustang door lock and there are some videos that address this. The best one is titled Door Won't Unlock. It's 13.21 minutes long. And it shows that the problem is the adjustment of the door lock rod (the one that's attached to the door lock push/pull knob on the door interior). Hope this helps.

Neil

CougarCJ

The door latches can get worn out or gummed up with old grease. There is also a spring that can break. After 55 years, it is probably time to remove and detail clean, test, adjust rod linkages as Neil suggested.
Use a fresh lubricant, I like Sil Glyde, it works really well on door and window mechanisms and parts.

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

I reinstalled the driver side today with a replacement that I had received from my uncle several years ago. Used Sil-Glyde from Napa. I watched the video several times prior to tackling this project. Tomorrow I plan on reinstalling the passenger side.

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

5e7a21a18a9a7fcf9276effbddd1fa10.jpg

I did what it says in the photo on the drivers side.

OP
OP
whodat

whodat

I wanted to do the passenger side and say they both work. They both needed adjustment. And the Syl Glide works fantastic. I did the rear windows as well.
We found this problem after finally getting the 1-piece headliner installed
cf2ee7006941af8789be631a510f9b0b.jpg

Last edited: