• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Disappointing 4th

dpheyes

Well, the 4th of July weekend started out nice. My dad and I were planning to have the new engine reinstalled in the CS and running by the 4th. And then disaster strikes! I've got the wrong bellhousing. Or maybe it's the wrong flywheel? Either way, the starter won't reach the ring gear. And I don't have an old Model T crank handy.

The PO had replaced the J code 302 with a '69 351W which had a 164 tooth flywheel and matching bellhousing ( C5AA-6384-B) for the 4 speed tranny. My 347 stroker has a 157 tooth flywheel which has been balanced to the engine. So, I guess I need the smaller bellhousing ( 6384-A) and shield. Anyone have one to sell or trade? My 164 tooth 6384-B is in great shape.

Just as an aside - I've read that all 68+ 302s had the larger flywheel and bellhousing, is that right?

Doug

66hcs-conv

Hi Doug,

I have a Ford aluminum bell housing that has number C9ZC-6394BA stamped on it.

Don't know if that would work for you or not. If you pay the shipping, you can have it.

If ANYBODY wants the bellhousing you may have it, if you pay shipping.
BUT, Doug gets first choice.

Thanks, Dave

OP
OP
D

dpheyes

Thanks,

Dave! I'm trying to research that number now, but so far have only come up with the D9ZC-6394-BA, which is a '79 model. I'll keep looking and let you know if it will work.

Thanks again,
Doug

P.S. Are you a Loveland "native"? I graduated from Niwot High way back when. We use to whup Loveland high all the time!

66hcs-conv

Doug,

I got the bell housing from an '83 Mustang, that had a 4 speed in it. I put the engine and new 5 speed trans in an 83 Ranger Pick up - lotsa fun!

I am not a Loveland native. We moved here from Estes Park last year.
We lived in Estes for 10 years and got tired of the elk, tourists, and the weekly trip to Loveland to buy just about anything. Lots eaiser to just live in Loveland.

Dave