• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Computer-based Restoration Spreadsheet?

747Driver

I'm curious whether anyone has come across (or created) a good computer-based restoration spreadsheet? I figured I'd ask before I start reinventing the wheel on Excel. Thanks, Josh

hookedtrout

I've got an Excel spreadsheet for just about everything but that. Be sure to share if you do get one created.

Powell

What a great idea Josh, it will be very interesting to see what the responses are to the post. I believe it would be a real help keeping someone track from start to finish of a project, whether that be a total rebuild or just a winter project. It might be interesting to have Neil respond with what is done in the aircraft industry.

Ralph

Midnight Special

What a great idea Josh, it will be very interesting to see what the responses are to the post. I believe it would be a real help keeping someone track from start to finish of a project, whether that be a total rebuild or just a winter project. It might be interesting to have Neil respond with what is done in the aircraft industry.

Ralph

...An on-line spreadsheet with current parts lists and tips from experts in one place would be outstanding...

Powell

Tim, now that would be a big project, but worthy of a whole new "BOOK". Too bad that such an idea hadn't happened before, but maybe now is the time.Thanks Josh for the concept, lets see where it goes.
Ralph

Mosesatm

I can send you a spreadsheet with every item I purchased, cleaned, repaired, and/or painted.

franklinair

We use a 4 page 'Check List' for aircraft inspections, the A/C mfr's maintenance & illustrated parts manual, and parts/materials source reference (cobbled up from years of experience).
The check list addresses engine, electrical, accessories, airframe- with explicit instructions of what to look for: measurements, condition, etc. Any discrepencies are written up (sometimes photographed), and corrective action noted for each item. The FAA requires this to be done every 100 hours of operation or 12 months- whichever comes first. In essence, an aircraft is 're-licensed' every year according to the manufacturer's specifications & FAA regulations. I had to get an additional rating to my A&P license in order to sign off the inspections and work.
I would think a spreadsheet for a HCS/GTCS would encompass (in very broad terms) engine, electrical, body, frame. Then refined to sub systems, physical conditions, etc.
Aircraft systems/manuals are numericly categorized. For example Chapter 21=air conditioning & heating, 23=radio, 24=electrical, 25=interior, and so on & so on. I can make a list of all the various categories that would need to be addressed, and then folks could submit their ideas & experience for each category.

Neil

OP
OP
747Driver

747Driver

Web-based...or iPhone App even?

...An on-line spreadsheet with current parts lists and tips from experts in one place would be outstanding...

I think we're all imagining something down the same lines, and Neil really nailed what I've been thinking about from the aviation standpoint. It's gotten to the point that there's hardly a moment I don't have my iPhone with me in the garage, and I've been imagining an iPhone spead-sheet App that allows you to label and attach your photos to a part or assembly in the spread sheet, as well as run a corresponding set of accounting categories (Repair/Replace cost) and notes, as well as attach web links to a given line-item (supplier websites, article references, parts schematics, etc.) that can be accessed directly from the spread sheet. A guy I fly with builds iPhone apps as a hobby/side business...Hmmm.

Josh

Ruppstang

The Ford service manual would give you a nice break down of categoriesand illistrations.