• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Coil clamp

dalorzo_f

Anyone got a photo of one, I have a few and am not sure which is correct (or if I even have the right one, or misplaced it in the rubble of multiple cars in pieces!) :undecided

If I can't find it, does anyone have one they can part with?

BroadwayBlue

Does this help?
I believe this to be the original style. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Attachments

• dsc_2777.jpg
    dsc_2777.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 38

J_Speegle

Anyone got a photo of one, I have a few and am not sure which is correct (or if I even have the right one, or misplaced it in the rubble of multiple cars in pieces!) :undecided

If I can't find it, does anyone have one they can part with?

Which motor? - different style clamps for different applications ;)

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

C code. 2V 289. VIN stamped and pretty complete and correct as far as I can tell.. but I'm just a rookie...

Only shot I have handy. The coil is just lying loose on top of the engine as shown.

Ruppstang

The coil location for all 68 289-302s was on top of the intake behind the Tstat housing. The only exception to that is the 68 GT 350 that got the aluminum intake. In that case it was moved under the dipstick bolt. The 68 coil bracket is unique because one corner is cut at a angle to provide clearance to the intake.

Attachments

• HCS Restroation 001.JPG
    HCS Restroation 001.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 28

BroadwayBlue

The coil location for all 68 289-302s was on top of the intake behind the Tstat housing. The only exception to that is the 68 GT 350 that got the aluminum intake. In that case it was moved under the dipstick bolt. The 68 coil bracket is unique because one corner is cut at a angle to provide clearance to the intake.

Sorry I didn't mean to cause confusion.

We moved the coil mounting location because the Pertronix wouldn't fit in the original location. But we used the original clamp that was on the car when I got it. It's a 289 converted to a 4bbl.

Marty, the 289 and 302 clamp is the same right ?

franklinair

Long ago I had an original '68, 289, Metuchen built). The coil was mounted vertically on the right side. The bracket used the same threaded hole as the dipstick mount.
I've also seen the coil mounted horizontally on the right forward side of the intake manifold.
(Just to further confuse the issue):confused:
In this specific case, I would rely on the inputs of Jeff & Marty.

Neil

SD GTCS

Hope this can help. 2-27-68 San Jose, original 289 C code. Coil is mounted to the intake manifold (coil not original of course):