• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 center floor console

green56

how hard would it be to install a floor console in a 68 GT/CS and would it look out of place sence it did not come with one

mmarsalone

A center console would not look out of place, I think it really adds to the sporty look of the interior. I'm assuming you're talking about a factory console. The installation is not too hard. There are different console bases and which one you get depends on whether or not you car has factory air. If your car has factory air, your base would be shorter in the front to make room for the heater diffuser under the dash on the transmission hump. Non AC cars don not have the same diffuser as the AC cars under the dash. Having said this, the diffuser used in AC cars with a console is different than AC cars without. You would need to replace this so that the air would come out beyond the sides of the console. Otherwise the air would blow into the backside of the console. You would also have to purchase the console radio bracket. This is different because you do not use the current radio faceplate. If you have a stock radio, you would need the console radio knobs which are longer to clear the padded faceplate of the console. You would also need to get the wiring harness to connect the console light to the under dash harness so it comes on when the doors are opened.

Hope this helps.

robert campbell

I just ordered a 68 Shelby console from Tony Branda this morning. I have a very nice 1968 black lower console for sale. I am asking $600.00. I plan to put it on ebay if no one on the site is interested. I am also looking for the stock shifter. The shifter in my car goes with the console because it has a special bracket on it to move the shift indicator light. From my experience non-console automatic shifters do not have the bracket. So if someone on the site is upgrading from a non-console auto car we can swap shifters if they buy the console. Below is a link to the tread on the site.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6839

Rob

robert campbell

I had to dig through my stuff, but found the factory "deep" radio knobs to support the padded dash of the 68 console. They will go with the console. I forgot that they were unique. As it said in my thread, I also have the correct radio mount plate, still in the car of course. It all goes.

A complete lower console sans the factory back panel under the radio, which does not show unless you bend down and look into the console storage area. And I made a replacement one out of a sheet of plastic.

PM me an offer. I will work with you.

Rob

Last edited:

GTCS42

Green...

I installed a factory console in my GT/CS. It was a straightforward job, really dressed up the interior. And as Robert Campbell mentioned, you'll need to swap your shifter for a console-style shifter.

Interested

I just ordered a 68 Shelby console from Tony Branda this morning. I have a very nice 1968 black lower console for sale. I am asking $600.00. I plan to put it on ebay if no one on the site is interested. I am also looking for the stock shifter. The shifter in my car goes with the console because it has a special bracket on it to move the shift indicator light. From my experience non-console automatic shifters do not have the bracket. So if someone on the site is upgrading from a non-console auto car we can swap shifters if they buy the console. Below is a link to the tread on the site.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6839

Rob
Robert: I am interested if you still have not sold the console. Is it A/C or non A/C? I have a 68 C/S which originally came with a console according to the Marti report but was removed by some previous owner. It is gulfstream aqua with matching interior so I am looking into the best method of converting a black console into my interior color scheme.........any suggestions?

Mosesatm

Robert: I am interested if you still have not sold the console. Is it A/C or non A/C? I have a 68 C/S which originally came with a console according to the Marti report but was removed by some previous owner. It is gulfstream aqua with matching interior so I am looking into the best method of converting a black console into my interior color scheme.........any suggestions?

Aqua is difficult because there are 3 shades; Light, medium, and dark. As far as I've been able to figure out Dark Aqua was used only on the dash pad, and Medium Aqua was used on only the door panels and arm rests, but please don't quote me on that or take my word for it!

My console was black and changing it to aqua was a simple process. The paints and dyes cover well. Just be sure to use many light coats instead of a few heavy coats.

Rainbow Industries seems to have the best aqua paints and dyes.

franklinair

I don't care for the Rainbow brand. Seems a little too thin & watery.

Neil

Mosesatm

I don't care for the Rainbow brand. Seems a little too thin & watery.

Neil

That's entirely possible, but it also seems to be the best color match for aqua interiors. I'd rather buy an extra can or two than have the wrong color.

Center Console

All: Thanks for the console color change advice..........Robert, how about I send you a private message with my e-mail and we can discuss specifics on the console deal?

PFSlim

I posted this at one of the threads above. I used the NPD paint and dye for my interior. You can order it in the same color. Paint was used for dash and doors, dye used to change my used console from Aqua to Light Blue. It takes several coats but I like the results.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang457.JPG
    Stang457.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Stang459.JPG
    Stang459.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Stang477.JPG
    Stang477.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Stang13.JPG