• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Carburetor identification question

zozobra

When I got my Cali a new Edelbrock carb was on the J code engine but there was a somewhat dusty carb in an Edelbrock box. It is a Motorcraft 4300 with the marking C8AF-B on the bottom plate. I knew the car had been stored for a number of years, and this had to be on it during that time. Any idea if that model number came on J codes or, if not, what it came on? I think it was for the car itself, but I'm really not sure. It is clearly the right age judging from the number but that's about all I know.

Thanks

RedGTvert

The 4300 would be correct carb, but not Motorcraft. It would have been an Autolite that would have been on the car. Most likely it was bought sometime in life over the counter or a rebuild from one of the chains.

@Holmes

Ok book says C8AF-B is an Autolight 4300 off a Thunderbird 390 auto. Does the body of the carb say Motorcraft or how do you know its a Motorcraft. FYI its a 446 CFM. The C8ZF-(C or D) that came with your car is rated at 441 CFM. D for Auto C for Man trans.

OP
OP
Z

zozobra

My mistake on the Motorcraft part. I do believe it is an Autolite. I remember being told the owner changed carbs back and forth once in a while so the fact it came off of a T-bird seems very fair to me.

Thanks for the help.