• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Advice Please - Door Panel Replacement

stangfan

I am in the process of replacing the door panels. The car has the standard interior, so nothing fancy. Upon removing the window crank I found the original nylon washer still in place between the crank and the panel. I thought that was pretty cool, until I got the panel off. It appears to be the original panel also, with the number 13 in crayon on the back. My car was built March 15th, so I assume that is a date. There is a quality control stamp on the backside also. Even better, the original watershield is still on the door. Love it!!

Now my question is, while the panel is off, should I carefully peel the watershield off and grease any of the window mechanisms? I have white lithium grease to use. Just wonder if I should leave well enough alone. The windows wind up and down quite well already.

Thoughts?

Thank you. :grin:

franklinair

With the door all opened up like you say, I'd peel the watershield off and lube ALL moving pivots/parts. And look at the plastic rollers in the channel for condition. The plastic rollers deteriorate over time. If in doubt, replace them.
The white lithium is good for the channels, but I use oil (LPS2) to lube the moving parts.
Now's a good time for preventative maintenance while its opened up.

Neil

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Came across something that made me do a double-take. When I was cutting the holes in the new panel for the armrest, I laid the new one over the original and marked the extra holes on the back and then proceeded ever so carefully to cut the extra holes. Only when I was putting everything back together did I realize that there was one extra hole in the panel. After freaking out that I had ruined a brand new panel, I realized that the extra hole was right in the middle of the arm rest, so that the rest covered it. I now have the other panel off the car and it too, has an extra hole. Why would Ford have cut a hole when it was not needed? Any ideas?

clubpro

Steve,

One of the things that I have always done is clean out the inside bottom of the doors. There are always leaves, pine needles and dirt that are the causes for the drain holes to plug up and the rust to begin. If the car ever sat outside for any length of time odds are there is stuff down inside the door.

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Steve,

One of the things that I have always done is clean out the inside bottom of the doors. There are always leaves, pine needles and dirt that are the causes for the drain holes to plug up and the rust to begin. If the car ever sat outside for any length of time odds are there is stuff down inside the door.

Cheers,

Ron

Thanks Ron, but too late...it's all buttoned up. :grin:

Quite honestly, I don't think this car EVER spent much if any time parked outside.