• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 A little help please

BOSS3024ME

Well I came close to selling her as I have a buyer hounding me but spent some time over the weekend cataloging parts and finished pulling the front sheetmetal off so I am feeling bullish about keeping her.

My question is this: Can someone recomend a route to go on the suspension?

The car has been off the road since 1979 and has less than 60K on her but my feeling is I should replace the rear springs/ Shoocks and the front suspension springs shocks arms ect.

Do you guys feel the same?

Should I buy a suspension "kit"? Any input on whic one?

What about sway bars? I have factory one on the front but it is pretty small.

I would like to do the front and the rear so it is mobile in my shop and then work on the engine/ tranny so it will move under power.

Any input on "Performance kits? (Grab a trak)?

How about best shocks? KYB, Bilstien? Koni?

The car is all stock down to bias plys and hub caps and I am having a hard time deciding if I should go with a little more modern or stay as stock as possible.

Any help or input might keep me on the path to not selling her.

Thanks guys

Paul

franklinair

I don't order 'kits'. For front suspension parts I prefer MOOG brand (UCA,LCA with ball joints). I also prefer the heavier front sway bar. For the rear springs I prefer EATON stock leaf springs. Shocks= KYB.
AND I also like to add an Export Brace (Scott Drake brand) and Monte Carlo bar to help stiffen up the front end.
That's my formula, others may have different preferences.
And don't forget the brake flex hoses while you're there.

Neil

Attachments

• DSC00745 (2).jpg
    DSC00745 (2).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Green GTCS 009 EM (2).JPG
    Green GTCS 009 EM (2).JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 30

CougarCJ

I will second what Neil said. Order the parts a la carte.

When I upgrade to disc brakes, I go with the 1970 or newer disc brake spindles. Those require the use of 1970 and later outer tie rod ends.

For both of my cars, I scooped up 31/32 inch front sway bars with all of the hardware from Ford Granada's. They are direct bolt ins, and used to cost about $14 at the U-Pull-It yards.

rvrtrash

I agree with Neil and Scott as well, although when I bought my springs, I went with the "GT" rear springs which are a little stiffer.

Steve