• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 302 4V Driveshaft

x-codegtcs

OK - next question...I have 4 different drive shafts (one from a 390 cougar) and I am trying to find the correct drive shaft for a J-code with a c4. I have one that is tube-in-tube with the rubber "spacers" and one that is a "single" tube with the ends welded on the same tube - both are the same length. I have one that is very long and then the GT Cougar shaft (which I think would be too short due to the larger c6 and 9' rearend. So, I have found some measurements, but cannot get a match, so not sure if I am measuring right. I will post some photos later to show you what I have. Thanks guys!!!!

CougarCJ

Stock drive shaft for a 1968 Mustang J code, C4, with 8 inch rear end - or 9 inch rear end?

A Cougar has a longer wheel base than a Mustang.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

it is for an 8" rear end...The measurement that I can find is 50 31/32. The yoke on the end has a C2AA-A part number for the 2 pc drive shaft and is 3.5" wide. Also the 2 pc drive shaft is the only 3" diameter of the lot - the rest are 2.75"...the one from the GT Cougar is a Chevy driveshaft with a PN 3790024 (don't ask, I don't know 8-/ ) and all of the yokes are 3.5" wide. So, I am guessing that the 2 pc is the correct drive shaft as it's measurement is the closest to the 50 31/32 (more like 50 13/16 as best as I can measure). The 2 piece is is the second from the top in the two photos.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• image-6.jpeg
    image-6.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 39
  • image-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 39

teamlo

I have the original driveshaft from my '68 J-code C4 sitting in the basement. My car is a GT though, so it has a 9" rear end. I can't recall if the driveshafts were different for the 8" vs 9" rear end for the J-code cars. Maybe someone else could weigh in on that. Mine is the 2 piece version with the rubber insulator as you describe. My understanding is that big block cars would have a 1 piece driveshaft.

Terry

CougarCJ

1968 with 8 inch rear end.
50-31/32 long is the correct drive shaft measured on U-Joint hole centers.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Terry and Scott - Thanks for your help!!!

Scott can you also confirm that it is a two piece drive shaft for the 302 4v?

CougarCJ

Terry and Scott - Thanks for your help!!!

Scott can you also confirm that it is a two piece drive shaft for the 302 4v?

The MPC doesn't call that out, but we see them often with Cougars.

We see a lot of 2 piece drive shafts, pipe in a pipe with the rubber 1967-68.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

GREAT!!! I will send it out to get balanced! Thanks guys!! Anyone know a reference for the driveshaft striping specs?