• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2008 Shelby GT500KR

P

PNewitt

ya just beat me to it, Steve....

Here is the article:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2007/news0128shelbygt500kr.php

when you look at the photos....get a CLOSE LOOK at the HOOD LOCKS...(uh...what do they look like?)

An awesome machine!! Awesome hood! Neat emblems, too!

(would 550-600hp in this Shelby = a 347 in your Tiger? Power to weight ratio? I'm sure another Tiger owner has done it...ya think?)

Paul N.

390cs68rcode

Well it looks like Ford is getting closer with the correct retro look for the new Shelby. Let's see if they come up with something different for the CS as well. By the way, 550-600 rear wheel horsepower from the factory makes me a little lightheaded. :icon_ecst

Steve

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=45

As many of you guys might remember I have never been a strong fan of the modern Mustangs but I believe they NAILED the style on this one! I LIKE it.

BTW where did you read 550-600 REAR wheel horsepower? I was under the impression the 500 hp the GT500 has was at the crank.

I read an article that stated 540 HP for the KR (Motor Trend I believe). Also in the same article they stated only 1000 are being built. This will be a RARE car.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I think the Wall Street Journal said 550 hp and the website for the New York Auto show said 600.

Power to weight, this car versus a 347 Tiger would probably be about the same. There's a guy in Nevada that has a Tiger that I think he's got up to 160mph or so. The differences would be comfort and handling, plus it wouldn't feel like your feet are on fire when you drive (your right foot is about 4" from the left header with no ventilation in the foot well---it get's toasty)

Steve

390cs68rcode

This is from the Ford Website

MORE MUSTANG POWER: FORD SHELBY GT500KR ‘KING OF THE ROAD’ RETURNS IN 2008

2008 Shelby GT500KR

Celebrating the fortieth anniversary of the original Shelby Cobra GT500KR, Ford and Shelby collaborate on a new ‘King of the Road’ Mustang with the 2008 Shelby GT500KR.

Shelby GT500KR features an estimated 540-hp 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 with a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack, 3.73:1 rear axle ratio, short-throw shifter, and unique suspension tuning.

Exterior design draws inspiration from the classic Shelby KR Mustangs and features unique carbon composite hood, wheels, and special 40th Anniversary badging and unique striping.

Shelby GT500KR arrives in spring 2008 in an exclusive run of only 1000 units.

P

PNewitt

I know....this one's barely out of the gate, and I've already got a mod for it.

They spent a lot on the front end, why not the rear? Saleen did it, why can't Ford?

This would make it more distinctive on the road from the other Mustangs, as well as the other Shelbys.

Perhaps an aftermarket company can make "extensions" that apply to the rear panel, and blend in with the existing taillights?? How hard could that be to make?

I really love how they did this variant, but for what they may go for at the dealer, perhaps a "used" Ford GT could be bought for the same $$...

Paul N.

Attachments

• taillights.jpg
    taillights.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 40

Talan423

Gt500kr

Shelby's people are saying that no production numbers have been discussed yet with ford. The media has jumped the gun on the "1,000" vehicles to be produced. Maybe it will be more like 1251 just like in 1968? The price hasn't been discussed yet either, i'm sure the ford dealers will jack the price up on these also, just like the GT40 and the GT500.

Attachments

• 1000KR.jpg
    1000KR.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 22

390cs68rcode

Shelby's people are saying that no production numbers have been discussed yet with ford. The media has jumped the gun on the "1,000" vehicles to be produced. Maybe it will be more like 1251 just like in 1968? The price hasn't been discussed yet either, i'm sure the ford dealers will jack the price up on these also, just like the GT40 and the GT500.

no production numbers discussed with Ford?

This MIGHT be true but Ford's website CURRENTLY says 1000 (see my post above which came from the Ford site).

davidathans

At B&D Racing...they take 03-04 cobra motors with stock internals, stock block, stock heads, stock cams....and i've seen them get as much as 640RWHP...

they did an 07 shelby....put an exhaust, intake and a dyno tune and had it at 530RWHP...then they changed the supercharger pulley and put in 4.10 gears and they retuned it, but when they went to run a dyno pull for peak power...the car lost traction on the dyno so they couldnt get a reading...

i dont know if the 08 GT500KR comes stock with 550RWHP, but it wouldnt take much $$ to get it there thats a fact...

these modular fords with double overhead cams and superchargers are super cars

for the 07 GT/CS owners....heres some info about your 4.6L SOHC 3V motors..

B&D puts vortec and various other superchargers on that engine with exhaust and tuning mods, etc....the mustangs they put on the dyno survive if they make less than 400 Torque at the wheels....the few mustang they have worked on that did not survive on the dyno, spun two rods at 5000rpm and made just over 400RW Torque

the 3V internals are not forged steel like the 03-04 cobras...you cannot get over 400 RW torque out of the stock shortblocks without them failing

what B&D does is rebuild the bottom end of the 3 Valve motors and re-use the top end and add a blower...and the SOHC 3V heads are pretty damn good too, they have gotten over 600RWHP but it takes about $20 grand because of the shortblock needing to get redone also...

...if you want your 07 GT/CS to compete with a 07, 08 shelby, when you redo your shortblock to forged internals...go with a 4.6L--->5.0L stroker and add your blower...$25k later you'll have over 600RWHP

joedls

This MIGHT be true but Ford's website CURRENTLY says 1000 (see my post above which came from the Ford site).

Can you post a link? I did a search for "GT500KR" on ford.com and it came up with nothing.

Edit: I must have typed it in wrong because I found it when I went back and searched.

Last edited:

Talan423

I take that back about the media jumping the gun.... it was ford who jumped the gun announcing to the media the "1,000" vehicles to be produced. The shelby motors president has stated that numbers have not even been discussed between the two parties as of yet.