CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/30/2015, 08:47 AM   #61
Mosesatm

There are some things in life I just don't understand, and at least three of them are in this photo, although I do like the '68 headrests.
http://www.specialtysales.com/vehicles/11129
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Paint.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	19211  
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2015, 09:34 AM   #62
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
There are some things in life I just don't understand, and at least three of them are in this photo, although I do like the '68 headrests.
http://www.specialtysales.com/vehicles/11129

OK. You got me Arlie. Apparently, my eye isn't as sharp as yours (or I'm not quite as anal). What bothers you about that photo?

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2015, 10:13 AM   #63
Mosesatm

The painted scoop screen, the painted door striker, and the stripe in front of the scoop.
Old 04/30/2015, 10:29 AM   #64
joedls
My Car Details

Quote:
The painted scoop screen, the painted door striker, and the stripe in front of the scoop.
LOL. None of those things bother me. That's it. You're never allowed to look at my car when it's done.

I didn't even look at the exterior. I was looking at the interior since you mentioned the headrests.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
Old 04/30/2015, 11:35 AM   #65
Mosesatm

The weird thing is that the striker and scoop attachments are not painted!!!

Oops, I missed the quarter panel windlace not tucked under the sill plate.
Old 04/30/2015, 01:57 PM   #66
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
I would have guessed the shoulder belts hanging down.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2015, 06:18 AM   #67
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Quote:
I knew exactly what was bugging you.

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2015, 09:26 PM   #68
somethingspecial

My Garage
Yep, I spotted those three things too and knew what you were talking about.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2015, 09:51 PM   #69
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Ah heck, went into the link and saw the red air cleaner lid with the 289 "high performance " decal.... Ah come on.... Ford did not have a 271 HP 289 in 1968....

I can let go of paint on striker plates and scoops. But not total fabrication of engine options and HP!! But that is just me!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2015, 02:01 PM   #70
Mosesatm

This person doesn't quite understand the concept.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	208982_c9888336e5_low_res.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	19296  
Old 05/16/2015, 03:18 PM   #71
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Arlie,
Had to go back and look at a 68 deluxe door. This guy mounted the light on the outside of the grill and towards the back of the door. You can see the correct spot in the center.

Was this a mistake or did the owner think it looks better?

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2015, 12:59 AM   #72
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Ah heck, went into the link and saw the red air cleaner lid with the 289 "high performance " decal.... Ah come on.... Ford did not have a 271 HP 289 in 1968....

I can let go of paint on striker plates and scoops. But not total fabrication of engine options and HP!! But that is just me!

Rob
...So I guess I'd better get busy & buff the Carroll Shelby sig off my air cleaner and Jay Leno's penned on my glovebox to keep our model builders happy LOL... and I have yet to get the 45-minute lectures about painted screens, date coded door hinge bolts and absence of afterthought daubs & chalk marks from the seeming hundreds who admire what we do with our GT/CSs more than our so-called experts...

I've come to realize the best car shows are the impromptu ones in gas stations, on the highway and restaurant parking lots (where you thankfully don't see many rivet counters). But that is just me....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0036.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	19297   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0048.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	19298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5121.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	19299  

Last edited by Midnight Special; 05/17/2015 at 01:38 AM..

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2015, 05:52 AM   #73
Ruppstang

My Garage
Marty the rivet counter here :) I believe as does the MCA there is room in the hobby for everyone and every kind of Mustang. That is why the MCA has daily driven, occasional driven, concours driven, concours trailered, thoroughbred, unrestored and modified classes.
Every car does not need to be a concours restoration. To me it would not be wise to modify a rare or valuable car as they are unique and should be save to show future generations actually what Ford made.
I can also appereachate the work and craftsmanship that goes in to a tastefully done modified car. There are a number of fine examples on this site including yours. There is however a big difference in a intended modification and a sloppy paint job where strikers, grills, latches and wiring get painted. The title of this thread is "Another Bad Idea?" we including myself need to be careful not be too critical of others work. We all have different skill sets, finances and are on different rungs of that ladder of experience.
Your friend Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2015, 09:12 AM   #74
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Thanks Marty :-) I'm just voicing a little balance (as I often do). Seems an increasing few of us for the time being, prefer to spend our money keeping our machines on the road...driving, enjoying, inviting our friends to drive, taking elder former owners for rides etc...in a way trophy hunters never do. This often means diverse (and sensible) mods like incorrect alternators, batteries, air cleaners, headlamps, functional foglamps...you name it.

I'm only affirming that "underground behavior" as ours has served to impress hundreds more in as big of picture "ownership" than uninvited, patch-vested know-it-alls who are often too eager to drive folks away from the hobby with their nitpicking personal need of attention (often times "incorrect" with later revelation argued on these sites).

That is...if you are going to govern over other peoples processes, you'd best (generally) govern yourselves first.

I once went to a gathering where a prominent, worshiped, MCA, SAAC type was said to attend. I brought $180K worth of cars (at that time) and was looking forward to meeting him... right up until I did! His arrogance and wedge-driving jealousy proved far more tacky than "painted screens", which in the long run (thankfully) led to a valuable difference and farther reaching level of enjoyment over appeasing the un-appeasing trailer types.

But again.... That's just me! and I don't believe I need to go on & explain my respect for You, Marty :-)

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2015, 01:00 PM   #75
joedls
My Car Details

I have nothing but respect for you guys that have the patience and wherewithal to do a "correct" restoration. And I can really admire your work. However I could never do it. I'm a hotrodder at heart and always want to modify my vehicles. I always want more power, better handling, more comfort, a different look, etc..

That's what's so great about this hobby. There's room for all of us!

Joe

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > Misc Forums > Off Topic Lounge