CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/13/2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Armond

dago-resto.com

eBay: dagostini

Grille question

I am in the process of restoring the grille to the C/S. It had been painted over the original color at one time. What I found was the two fog lite brackets were painted off the grille and then assembled onto the grille. The back side of the grille and brackets both appear to have been painted black and the the gray metallic color appears to be then painted and the over spray going onto the grille backside. Or should the back side be painted completely gray metallic also? It does not appear this way from what I have found. I just want it correct and any input would be appreciated. I will be reassembling the grille with correct Tube rivets. Thanks!

Armond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Ruppstang

My Garage
Armond I think this is the kind of thing that was just is how it happend that day in the plant. Mine was compleatly covered. If I were you I would restore it the way it was since John has owned the car since new and it has not been messed with.
See you soon Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 01:38 PM   #3
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
When you do paint the front of the grille, I've found that by painting a lighter color first (as a primer) then the dark gray, it comes out as a truer 'charcoal' color. If you spray the dark gray over black, it seems too dark.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Armond

dago-resto.com

Thank you for the advice! It also appears on this grille that the two tabs attached to the grill that attach to the hood stop location were black? I didn't find the gray under the paint John had sprayed over the grille. Just some black. Does that seem to jive from what is the norm or should it be the gray also. Thanks!!!!

Old 04/13/2012, 05:39 PM   #5
somethingspecial

My Garage
The Grille is painted dark grey, the fog light brackets were painted off the grille and attached to the grille with "in the white" rivots. The mounting tabs were also painted off the grille "S.G. Black" and should have shiny rivots as well. Hope this helps.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Armond

dago-resto.com

That is just what I thought from my examining the grille. Thank you for the confirmation.

Old 04/13/2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Ruppstang

My Garage
Mike that is no suprise as that is how all the other grills were assembled. You saying that the fog light bracket was painted seperately but dark grey or SG black? All others used SG black on brackets and supports. Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 07:53 PM   #8
somethingspecial

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppstang View Post
Mike that is no suprise as that is how all the other grills were assembled. You saying that the fog light bracket was painted seperately but dark grey or SG black? All others used SG black on brackets and supports. Marty
Marty, All items were painted seperately. Grille and Fog Light Brackets were painted Dark Grey,( I found SEM Bumper Coater Dark Titanium Metallic #39263 is the best match) and the two small mounting tabs are painted SG Black. Rivots were left "In the White", or unpainted shiny aluminum.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2012, 06:44 PM   #9
whodat

eBay: metronash

I just may do mine since I have it out right now.
whodat is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions