CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/31/2011, 01:34 PM   #1
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Side scoop question

I need to gain access to the L & R side scoops (they're not tight enough). Is the only access by removing the quarter windows, or am I missing something?

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 01:53 PM   #2
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
I've only been there once, never did have to remove the window just the back seat to gain access to the side panel. Remove the back side panels, which will require the window handle to be removed at which point you can see the bolt/nut what ever it was don't remember for sure.

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 03:19 PM   #3
NosAvrenim

Send a message via AIM to NosAvrenim
My Garage
I've had to get in there a couple of times but have always had to remove the rear quarter windows. If there's an easier way, I'd love to hear what it is.

~Nate

Raven Black '68 GT/CS 390 X code
NosAvrenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 03:39 PM   #4
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I found an EZ way: With the 1/4 trim panel removed, drill a hole thru the 1/4 window metal plate (that blocks access to the scoop fastener). Enlarge the hole (to about a 1/2"), allowing a spin-tight or 1/4" drive socket through the hole to the fastener.

Neil
Old 08/31/2011, 05:19 PM   #5
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
My memory must be bad...doesn't surprise me, I don't think I was in there for the side scoop, I was in there trying to lube the window regulator if I remember, which is subjective.

Did you take pictures to share with us all?

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 05:44 PM   #6
hicountrybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
I found an EZ way: With the 1/4 trim panel removed, drill a hole thru the 1/4 window metal plate (that blocks access to the scoop fastener). Enlarge the hole (to about a 1/2"), allowing a spin-tight or 1/4" drive socket through the hole to the fastener.

Neil
Right on, Neil. Been there, done that many times. Bob here!
hicountrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 08:16 PM   #7
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Ouch... hate to see that "solution", similar, to me, to the owners that carve up the shock towers to get access to the zerks... But it is hidden.

PITA to get to but once its cut it can never go back.... you "can" get to the quarter ornamnets with a long open end wrench, but its way awkward. Would assume the same with the scoops but never tried.

The panel is not that hard to remove, takes about 15-20 minutes... just had to do my '68 coupe to get the ornaments on, forgot to put them in before the windows. Had both sides removed, ornamants installed and all back together in about 1 1/2-2 hours... have a wrtie up on the process if anyone's interested...

IMHO don't cut!!!!
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2011, 08:22 PM   #8
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorzo_f View Post
have a wrtie up on the process if anyone's interested...
Absolutely! I'd love to get some "tech article" type threads going.

admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 06:06 AM   #9
green56

side scoops

would like the tech article if you could thanks Tom

I have family that lives in Orange
green56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 08:30 AM   #10
somethingspecial

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorzo_f View Post
Ouch... hate to see that "solution", similar, to me, to the owners that carve up the shock towers to get access to the zerks... But it is hidden.

PITA to get to but once its cut it can never go back.... you "can" get to the quarter ornamnets with a long open end wrench, but its way awkward. Would assume the same with the scoops but never tried.

The panel is not that hard to remove, takes about 15-20 minutes... just had to do my '68 coupe to get the ornaments on, forgot to put them in before the windows. Had both sides removed, ornamants installed and all back together in about 1 1/2-2 hours... have a wrtie up on the process if anyone's interested...

IMHO don't cut!!!!
If my memory serves me correctly, some of the first factory cars saw the hole modification done by factory workers. So if the factory would do it to make it easier, I think it would be fine for us to do it 43 years later. Besides, no one would see it, and it doesn't weaken any structural support. I say go for it. JMHO.

Mike Jewell
GT/CS Registrar
mikej@bigbytes.com
If at first you don't succeed, Parachuting is not for you!!!!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 10:24 AM   #11
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
My thoughts exactly, and that's what I did. I'll try and get a photo for others' future reference.

Neil
Old 09/02/2011, 06:51 AM   #12
Russ

Mustangs Forever

eBay: g350t

Mike,

You are correct in that my early GT/CS (February 14 build date) has holes punched out of the window mechanism so the assembly line worker could install the scoop with the window rail installed. These holes are about 1 1/8" in diameter. My later GT/CS has no holes, requiring the installation of the scoops before the window mechanism went in.

There isn't much clearance between the window rail and the body, so take care if you decide to drill. Hope this helps,

Russ

'66 GT 350, (2) GT/CS, '68 GT Coupe, '73 CJ Convertible, '05 GT, '07 Shelby GT, and some Model T Fords
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 10:55 PM   #13
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
PM me with email addresses for those interested in the rear 1/4 window install doc... article sent to John, if it can be posted here in a "tech section" happy to share it.

My personal preference is to leave things the way they are, as much as possible, but to each their own.
Old 09/06/2011, 01:53 AM   #14
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage
That is a great idea Neil. When I took mine off and put them back on, I did the wrench "around" the window mechanism. It was like a 2+ hour ordeal trying to fit my hand in there and turn the wrench. And of course, I had to flip the wrench for every 1/4 turn. Did you take measurements so others don't just guess where to drill?

Neil, how about a Sta, w/l, b/l to more exact!!!!LOL Wait, wrong Mustang. Sorry, It's 2am and I'm at work.

Bret
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 05:05 AM   #15
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
You are correct in that my early GT/CS (February 14 build date) has holes punched out of the window mechanism so the assembly line worker could install the scoop with the window rail installed. These holes are about 1 1/8" in diameter. My later GT/CS has no holes, requiring the installation of the scoops before the window mechanism went in.
Hmmm.... as many don't have the holes (mine does not) one could pose the question, why "some" and not others...

Sure it was on-the-line and not a "creative" PO ???

I would have thought the assembly on the line was standard, and the scoops went on before the rear 1/4 windows as Ford would not cut holes if not necessary... a 2 cent savings per car mattered.

Why would not have drilled holes on some and not others ( a cost in time, materials, tooling) if not necessary for all... ????

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions