CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 03/14/2003, 02:24 PM   #1
RacingFan
My Car Details

Classic Cars and Ford Fan

Dixco Hood Tachometer

I know that Ford Dealerships offered dealer installed tachs on the Mustangs. Does anyone know if the Dixco tach was offered in 1968? How about the color? Would it have been painted body color? Thanks. I am considering buying one, just want to make sure that it is correct.
RacingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2003, 04:01 PM   #2

Re:Dixco Hood Tachometer

I have an original "1968 FORD ACCESSORIES" catalog published by "FORD PRODUCTS MERCHANDISING DEPARTMENT, AUTOLITE FORD PARTS DIVISION" and they don't show any hood-mounted tachs available from Ford. However they do offer 2-styles of interior tachs...one called a flat tach, and the other a conventional dial tach. Don't know if that helps, but that's the information I have.

Scott
Old 09/06/2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Invertedflyby

I know this is an old post but I was just doing a google search and this came up. Did you ever find out any more info? My CS has a Hood Tach that says Ford on it, it is painted the same color as the car. The guy I bought it from said it was a dealer option but I haven't been able to confirm that. There is not alot of info on them.

After doing some research I think it's made by Dixco and it was offered by dealers around that time frame.

I'll be curious to see the Marti report when it gets here.
Invertedflyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2005, 07:27 AM   #4
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage

There's a guy here in Wa. , Graham, I believe that has a "dealer installed hood tach". I think he is the original owner. He has photos in the gallery. I think they were a dealer option. I have one on my car that I found at the swapmeet here. I haven't decided if I'm going to paint it or leave it black. I've seen them on Ebay and they can get pretty pricey.

Bret
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2005, 07:51 AM   #5
Mustanger

[quote author=Invertedflyby link=board=1;threadid=260;start=0#msg14235 date=1126075119]
I know this is an old post but I was just doing a google search and this came up. Did you ever find out any more info? My CS has a Hood Tach that says Ford on it, it is painted the same color as the car. The guy I bought it from said it was a dealer option but I haven't been able to confirm that. There is not alot of info on them.

After doing some research I think it's made by Dixco and it was offered by dealers around that time frame.

I'll be curious to see the Marti report when it gets here.
[/quote]

If this tach is dealer installed, most likely it won't show up on the Marti Report (records of what came from the factory). From time to time, Branda sells a hood tach with the Ford logo on it, and I think he also says it was a dealer option ... :)
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2005, 08:13 AM   #6
Invertedflyby

Good point. I thought the Marti report only told what came from the factory. But how does he recreate the window sticker without knowing what options were put on at the dealer? Just thought I might get lucky.

I just got off the phone with the people at this place www.tachman.com They said it was an option at that time and the best way to tell is how it was put on. She said if it is screwed on it most likely came like that, but if there is silicon on it then it was probably added on. I don't know why people adding a tach would put silicon but oh well. The tach I have looks like the one in the upper left corner of that homepage.
Old 09/07/2005, 08:14 AM   #7
meadowsdk28

"It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not."

I have a 69 Ford Muscle parts with the Dixco Hood tach in it. I bought a very good repro a few years back and still haven't put it on because I don't have the Nads to cut my hood. I really love the look, but not yet enough to drill!!

To answer the original question, I don't know if they were offered as a dealer installed option in 68. I do KNOW for a fact that as a young kid while going to work with my dad at a local Lincoln-Mercury dealer, I witnessed him installing a hood tach on a brand new Cougar. What year? Who they heck would I know. I was like 7 or 8 at the time. I just remember how my dad hated that he was cutting into the hood of a brand-new cougar.
meadowsdk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2005, 07:07 PM   #8
6t8-390gt

I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH A HOOD TACH BEING AVAILABLE IN '68, BUT AGREE THAT THEY WERE OFFERED IN '69. IS IT CORRECT? I GUESS THAT DEPENDS ON WHO YOU TALK TO. ANOTHER EXAMPLE IS THE LOUVERED TAILLIGHT PANEL OFFERED FOR 1967. IT WAS NOT A FACTORY OPTION IN 68, BUT AVAILABLE OVER THE PARTS COUNTER. IS IT CORRECT OR OK? I SAY YEAH, THE MCA SAYS "PROVE IT WAS DEALER INSTALLED" OR IT'S WRONG.

6t8-390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2005, 09:36 PM   #9
Mosesatm

Here is a link to a website that lists the dealer installed options. Have no idea if the list is accurate

http://www.geocities.com/~mustangs68/dealer.html
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2005, 09:36 PM   #10
C160223
My Car Details

Page 8 of the gallery shows Bill Norman's original owner car, that he had the dealer install a hood tach when he bought it new in '68

http://www.californiaspecial.com/pho...lbumListPage=8

C160223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2005, 09:06 PM   #11
Invertedflyby

In searching the internet I found a post on some other mustang message board about a guy looking for a Dixco hood tach for his '71 Mach 1. I emailed him to ask if he found one and what he knew about them. Here is his reply.

"yes i got lucky and found a brand new one (nos) on ebay that went fairly reasonable for not knowing if it worked(but it was new and had never been installed) dixco hood tach.....from what i have learned from these they were a factory and dealer option from ford on mustangs in 1968 and 1969 and 1970 models limited mostly to mach 1's, bosses(mainly) and also a very few made their way into 1971 were dealer applied they left over ones to 1971 mach 1,boss's thus this is why i bought mine as i do have photos of a 1971 mach1 with one dealer installed when the car was bought new in 1971.....i hope this info helps and i can assure you you'll enjoy it it is awesome..the ford labeled one is accurate and the most sought after model as ford bought these from dixco in the late 1960's and put thier logo on the tachs(ford oval) for the 68,69,70 mustangs in the higher classes models..................."

He sent me some pics of his restored car as well, it looks good.
Old 09/09/2005, 09:34 AM   #12
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage

I would question some of the '71 guys research. The '71 Boss came from the factory with a tach in the dash and most, if not all, the 429 and 351-4 barrel cars did also, therefore no need for a hood tach. The dealer may have talked some poor sucker into putting one on a 302 or 2 barrel car just to get rid of it, but it sounds like this guy is just trying to justify his decision. I wonder if the only '68's that would have possibly received one is left overs that didn't sell until sometime in '69, when the dealers had them available for the '69 year? :-\
Steve
(Just thinking out loud here)
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2005, 10:22 PM   #13
mca

Dealer installed, therefore it was not painted body color, but normally installed in its original black color. Could an owner request the dealer paint it body color - of course, if the owner was willing to pay for it. It was available in 1970, and possibly 1969, but not in 1968.
mca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2005, 08:29 AM   #14
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage

In the gallery on page 8, Bill Norman has a dealer installed hood tach and he is the original owner. If you wanted more info you might talk to him. Just thought I'd throw this out to mull over.

Bret
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2005, 02:04 PM   #15
Invertedflyby

I emailed Bill Norman a few days ago but no response yet. I'm not a mustang expert, I wasn't around when they came out so I'm looking to better sources. I thought MCA was one of the Beastie Boys until I googled mca and mustang to see what ya'll were talking about.

I put all the information I could find in this thread. So far it sounds like there is a good chance it came from the dealer but again I can't prove that. Yes I would like for it to have come from the dealer but if it didn't that's okay because looks cool and I'm not planning on selling it. I don't have the original engine and tranny anyway so my car will never be "pure"

Too bad the dealers didn't have computers back then so the information could be retreived easier.

How does Marti create an accurate window sticker if he can't include dealer options? Does anyone with a Marti report have dealer options listed on it? Maybe the dealers reported what they added on to cars back to Ford.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions