CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/12/2010, 11:03 AM   #1
green56

brakes

I would like to know on my 68 i would like to take the auto brake adjustment wires off and take the adjustment pads off what type of problem will i have. I am not ready to put disk brakes on yet. What happens after i adjust the fromt brakes i back down the drive and then go foward the front pulls to the right
Old 08/12/2010, 12:41 PM   #2
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
1.) If you have a brake pulling, I'd pull both front brake drums and check to see if you have a leaking wheel cylinder or grease seal.
2.) As far as the brake adjusting, that is done by using a 'brake spoon' thru the slot on the back of the backing plate (it will have a small rubber plug inserted to keep dirt/water out).
3.) When you had the wheel/brake drum removed, you should have seen the brake adjuster with the 'star' wheel. The spoon is used to screw the adjuster outwards to expand the brake shoes towards the drum. Adjust it until the wheel cannot be rotated, then back it off until there is just a slight drag felt when rotating the wheel.

I would leave the self adjuster mechanism in place- its there for a reason.

Neil
Old 08/12/2010, 02:20 PM   #3
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
Neil is right on, I will add that if you don't understand brakes and how they work you should try and find someone close to you that does to help you out or take them to a professional for help. Brakes are one critical component that can mean the difference between crunch and no crunch, life and death.

Mine were pulling bad and we worked them over good by replacing everything and doing a lot of work to get them working right and I still didn't feel good about how they were working so I went with disc brakes, but it is expensive to change.

Cory
Old 08/12/2010, 03:50 PM   #4
green56

brakes

I found out how much disk brakes cost a lot so i guess i will check out the wheel cylinder or just replace and be safe
Old 08/12/2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Doug
My Car Details

Disc or drum - just make sure that they are done right. Sometimes a little more now saves a alot more later.

66 Shelby GT 350, 55 Chev Nomad my sons 07 Shelby GT#4208. SOLD Candy Apple Red 390GTAuto w/air - Now in Australia.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Restoration Reference Archives > Brakes