CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/03/2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Sunny day at last!...

...and a good day to work on my T-Birds (according to a guy at the restaurant).

Who am I to argue? It has a 390 and the correct tail lights!
;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003025-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	13284  

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2011, 04:22 AM   #2
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I worked on one of mine as well, although in the shop because it was pouring rain. Nice picture Tim. It makes me wish I was there walking among them again, or bent over a fender watching brother Rob work his magic.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2011, 05:19 AM   #3
somethingspecial

My Garage
I would like to see you do something with that yellow 69 you've had since we met 30 years ago. Mike
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2011, 08:45 AM   #4
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
Still waiting in S.E. Idaho. 7 degrees this morning in Island Park just North of home. Wind blew about 5' off the Osprey nest that is on our bridge down on to the highway and shut traffic down for a little bit. No nice weather here to play in.

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingspecial View Post
I would like to see you do something with that yellow 69 you've had since we met 30 years ago. Mike

...Yeah, Thomas & TJ have been heavy on me 'bout that too! So little time and so many distractions. For all of us. I'm afraid to start on it & not finish it timely.

Once again, I hope to begin ressurection this summer...but I've said that before...>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2565.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	13289  

Tim
Old 04/04/2011, 03:57 PM   #6
somethingspecial

My Garage
Great Picture!!!!! That is how I remember it.
Old 04/04/2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Heck, That's Binney Junction! You were probably there, Mike! ...After a night of railroading with Hal Reigger & the gang ;-)

Tim
Old 04/05/2011, 12:09 PM   #8
somethingspecial

My Garage
Those were fun times, with the Ghost Busters truck and a burned out Cemetary! Is Hal still around, or has he caught the last train out?
Old 04/05/2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Mosesatm

Is this what you guys are talking about?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Binney Junction.pdf (121.3 KB, 27 views)
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2011, 07:41 PM   #10
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Those were fun times, with the Ghost Busters truck and a burned out Cemetary! Is Hal still around, or has he caught the last train out?
...'Haven't seen him in a few years, Mike. I believe he's still living in Gridley and teaching pottery.

Folks,
Hal Reigger was a humble and renown model railroad craftsman who modeled the Milwaukee Road from Spokane, WA to Butte, Montana in N-scale inside of two full-sized Western Pacific boxcars on his property. In addition to writing magazine articles and giving clinics at RR conventions, he pioneered live-overhead catenary and hand built the correct Milwaukee box-cab and "Little Joe" locomotives from etched brass in 1/160 scale. No words can describe his attention to detail in scenery, structures, rolling stock and tunnels & bridges, all made from scratch.

Mike & I and a handful of others would go there on Friday nights to operate his layout, but not just to play trains! Everything had to be done prototypically, complete with train orders, a dispatcher, scheduling, proper radio communication and on & on. At the end of the night, we were often rated on how efficient the line performed. Quite the excersice for us young kids in an un-conventional sort of way! (although we did engage in occasional "tomfoolery" like crankin' all the throttles up after power was shut down - to return from coffee break and power-up that saw every train on the system going like a bat outa'hell! (Hal would scratch his head & softly say; "Gaawdammit! ;-)

What was awesome about those times (as Mike said) was all the combined railroad history, research outings, learning how to replicate in incredible miniature detail, as well as "train chasing" and photographing the last vestiges of first-generation locomotives on railroads now gone.

Arlie, Binney Junction was a photo-op place where the late- Western Pacific and Southern Pacific railroads crossed. Other areas included Feather River Canyon and Donner Pass where we often camped along the tracks.

One such trip is where Mike learned of a radical, but ratty GT/CS sitting in a Catapillar mechanic's yard. While the rest is history, who would have imagined back then how the fatherly fellowship of guys like Hal (and a deep love of historic expression) could play a role in such the magnificent restoration of a GT/CS today! Only a role, mind you... but possibly a significant one as a reminder of Divine Order and gratuitous reflection of where we came from...>

...Think I'll look up ole' Hal and give him a call... and say "Thanks"! (he'll likely scratch his head & say "You're welcome, gaawdammit" :-))
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0047.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	13293  

Last edited by Midnight Special; 04/05/2011 at 07:53 PM..

Tim
Old 04/06/2011, 12:55 PM   #11
hookedtrout

My Garage
What an awesome reflection and I would suggest you do just as described and give him a call, get it done before it's too late. I often think of those I wish I could call up and let them know what positive or productive impact they've had on my life. Those that I can I do and it really makes their day.

Cory
Old 04/06/2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Those were fun times,...... Is Hal still around, or has he caught the last train out?
Well, I found out that he has, Mike. 'December 8 of 2005 of complications with pnemonia while asleep...

Cory, you're so right! Only this time, we're too late :-(
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	riegger.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	13295  

Tim
Old 04/06/2011, 01:56 PM   #13
hookedtrout

My Garage
Dang it! I'm sure he's keeping up with the thread!

On a brighter note, yet on topic for this thread, the sun came out for about an hour today. Should be back to wind, rain/snow by days end however.

Cory
Old 04/06/2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Yes, we're looking at rain again tomorrow, but I sure have enjoyed the HECK out of driving the mighty 'S' to work these past few days! Man, I can get used to this!!

C'mon SPRING!! :-)

Tim
Old 04/06/2011, 05:34 PM   #15
hookedtrout

My Garage
As predicted!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	13296  

Cory

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions