CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 02/24/2011, 07:33 AM   #1
HCS@CT
My Car Details

Always wanted a GT/CS now I have an HCS. Even better.

Talking 1968 HCS T code for sale or trade

Price: $18000 obo or

I have (according to Mr. Bob Teets) the last 1968 T code HCS. It has 46k original miles on the clock. A 3 speed manual. Mainly original- new dash pad, dash chrome, and fresh paint in the engine compartment. Some slight bubbling in door corners and one quarter. Not bad for a survivor, I have pics in my gallery HCS@CT. $18,000 please no BS or low ballers.
Thanks, Rand

PS: Another interesting note about this car is that it was the second to last High Country Special ever to be built. Again according to Mr. Teets. He's the best, if he dosn't have the answer you can stop looking, no one will. Every time I call him about something he gets me excited about my car all over again. So if you see this Bob, don't call me cuz I'm trying to sell it and this hard enough as it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelton car show.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	13192  

Last edited by HCS@CT; 06/23/2011 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: added pic
HCS@CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 04:20 PM   #2
classicsguy

Its a very rare and desirable car. Good luck with the sale!
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2011, 10:57 AM   #3
sportyworty

The Cobra Jet Den

I did not realize the Marti Reports called out California Special on the High Country Special cars. If a car did not have original decals how could someone be sure the much rarer HCS was not in fact a GT/CS? Looks like a nice car and wish you the best on the sale.
sportyworty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Mosesatm

Any California Special with a DSO of 51 is a High Country Special.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2011, 04:11 AM   #5
68CaliSp
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to 68CaliSp Send a message via Yahoo to 68CaliSp
My Garage
I don't think there is a more reliable engine out there than the T code. My '67 T code has been exceptional and never let me down.

I have to agree with Classicsguy on how rare your car is. Not only is it an HCS but it still has the original engine. I've found it pretty hard to find a mustang of any year where someone has not decided to drop a V8 into a 6 cylinder car. Good luck to you Rand!

Gulfstream Aqua GT/CS, 390 4V Auto
Metalic Red 67 Coupe, Straight Six 3-spd
68CaliSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2011, 07:38 AM   #6
HCS@CT
My Car Details

I will agree she is the most reliable car I've owned. Two taps of the gas pedal and she banks over every spring. As you can see from my gallery the motor has been gone thru. I found the head and carburator unusual the carburator is a Holley 1941 dual float not the Autolite 1100 POS and the intake on head is a 3/4in. not 1/2. When I spoke with Mr. Tests he said Ford did that for high altitude cars.. So she dosn't have that ruff idle the Autolites have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68CaliSp View Post
I don't think there is a more reliable engine out there than the T code. My '67 T code has been exceptional and never let me down.

I have to agree with Classicsguy on how rare your car is. Not only is it an HCS but it still has the original engine. I've found it pretty hard to find a mustang of any year where someone has not decided to drop a V8 into a 6 cylinder car. Good luck to you Rand!
Old 03/02/2011, 07:59 AM   #7
sportyworty

The Cobra Jet Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
Any California Special with a DSO of 51 is a High Country Special.
thank you note taken
sportyworty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2011, 05:58 AM   #8
HCS@CT
My Car Details

Wow no hits or questions about my car. Is everyone broke, or is my price too high. Could it be it's the six banger, Maybe I'll just keep it till the economy turns around.
Old 03/29/2011, 06:53 PM   #9
classicsguy

[QUOTE=HCS@CT;78714]Wow no hits or questions about my car. Is everyone broke, or is my price too high. Could it be it's the six banger, Maybe I'll just keep it till the economy turns around.[/QUOTI

If you want a good idea of what people are willing to pay put the car on E bay with your minimum price you are willing to sell as the reserve.
When I sold mine on e bay last year I had to put it about 3 times on e bay when it found the buyer. It was a project with all the metal work done but it was a Very rare J-code with factory 4 speed. Just my opinion.
Old 03/30/2011, 02:05 PM   #10
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
I have a few questuions:
How many HCS 6cyl/3speeds were made?
Northern car=big red flag:(Rust issues)
What is condition of floorpans, frame rails, torque boxes, cowls, body?
What is condition of paint on a scale of 1 to 10?
Did you patch the holes in the shock towers? (still can't believe anyone would cut them,especially with ragged edges)

Neil

Last edited by franklinair; 03/30/2011 at 04:33 PM..
franklinair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2011, 11:29 PM   #11
HCS@CT
My Car Details

From the discussion with Mr. Teets their were quite a few CS's and HCS's made with 6 cylinders. Most were converted to V8's over the years. Mine is the last known HCS with it's original 6. As to an actual number produced Marti auto may know. I've tried to find out for myself.
The car was brought over from Kentucky in 1999 to Maine and parked in a garage while the owner restored his CS. I picked it up in 2005 when the owner got disgusted with people winning awards for fakes and clones over the real deal . Floors and undercarriage are in great shape I've only found one small rust spot under the passenger side rear seat about the size of a silver dollar and hasn't made it threw. The only rust threw is right behind the passenger door on the quarter and some bubbles with slight surface rust on and under the hood.
The paint is original (there are clues to that like where the paint has been burned by a buffer the lip on the side scoop and the tops of the quarter extensions that give it away) except for on quarter haven't found out why yet. No metal work was done on the inside of the quarter, the factory rustproofing/sound deadening is undisturbed. That with the bubbles and a small amount of surface rust cropping up from scratches and chips over the years I would give the paint maybe a 5 out of 10. When I got the car the paint was dead flat but about a month of buffing and she gleans nicely.
Ya the holes are still in the shock towers, Yes someone was sloppy. I'm not sure why this six was so well taken care of but hopefully it will stay that way for a long long time.
Hope these are the answers you were looking for.
Old 04/01/2011, 05:26 AM   #12
Ruppstang

My Garage
The problem with those torched holes is that cracks often start out of them because it causes a weak spot in the shock tower. Not as much of a problem with a 6 as 390. It is best to weld in a repair but a quick fix if the hole is not too big or slopy is to find a rubber body plug a little larger than the torched hole and hole saw that size. Cut the hole and remove the burrs with a file. Pop in the body plug and you are done. It looks better and much less chance of a crack starting out of a clean round hole. Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/01/2011, 05:41 AM   #13
classicsguy

If car has still has factory paint that would be very desirable for me.
Old 04/01/2011, 08:25 AM   #14
HCS@CT
My Car Details

My wife of all people is the one that has kept me from repainting the car. Im a perfectionist and the little imperfections in the paint drive me crazy. The scoop decals were replaced two owners ago they purchaced them from Mr. Teets. Im not sure if the stripes were done at the same time, they may be original they have some chips and digs out of them. If anyone wants I can post some pic's of my clue spots when I get home from vacation.
Old 04/01/2011, 09:32 AM   #15
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Headrests are a nice touch. Are they '68 or '69?

Neil
franklinair is online now   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Classified Ads