CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 09/14/2010, 07:21 PM   #1
classicsguy

What color is the underside of your GT/CS?

Is the underside of your GT/CS/HCS painted body color or black or like it came from factory with red oxide and overspray ( Not sure if it came that way from Ford) Maybe somene can chip in on this. Or maybe its full of dirt and grime from driving it!!
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2010, 01:01 AM   #2
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
San Jose in '68 was generally red oxide. Dealer prep in rust areas was often full black undercoat. So both can be "correct" depending on if you mean factory or as delivered to the customer...
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Doug
My Car Details

This might be correct -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	12438  

66 Shelby GT 350, 55 Chev Nomad my sons 07 Shelby GT#4208. SOLD Candy Apple Red 390GTAuto w/air - Now in Australia.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2010, 11:53 PM   #4
J_Speegle

Underside of these cars is either one or two tones of epoxy (so it has a smooth slightly glossy look) red oxide primer sealer. The color can vary from a muddy brownish to a pale pinkish red oxide color depending on what week or month your car was built.

Over this (in areas close to the rocker panel and rear wheelwells) we have body color overspray (sometimes to the driveline tunnel) Over this we typically have the semi-gloss black overspray from the pinch weld black out process. Not as far in on the floors since the gun used a lower operating pressure

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle
C U @ ConcoursMustang.com
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2010, 12:17 PM   #5
GT/CS S Code
My Car Details

My Garage
Wink Underneath ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsguy View Post
Is the underside of your GT/CS/HCS painted body color or black or like it came from factory with red oxide and overspray ( Not sure if it came that way from Ford) Maybe somene can chip in on this. Or maybe its full of dirt and grime from driving it!!
Ours is "brown road dirt", speckled with "black asphalt" and a few small patches of light "red rust" ...

... mind you our car gets a fair bit of road use during the Spring and Summer while it is licenced and driveable ...

(All kidding aside, we're not sure on the original finish colours as the car was cleaned up and re-painted before we bought it.)

I may have passed my "best before" date, but I haven't reached my "expiry" date!
GT/CS S Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Mosesatm

Were all pinch welds painted black or only those on light-colored cars?
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2010, 04:53 PM   #7
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
FAM indicates all but black got the pinch welds painted...
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Ruppstang

My Garage
We have even seen the black out spray on black cars. I think that the guy on the line hit every car that went by. Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2010, 06:17 PM   #9
J_Speegle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
Were all pinch welds painted black or only those on light-colored cars?
Seen up to dark blue and green cars done but have not seen evidence (though I believe at least some might have been done) of a black car being dome. Of course over spray from the body color would really blend between the two

Would not believe everything we see in the FAM ;) too many examples of where those practices don't match up on real cars

Jeff Speegle
C U @ ConcoursMustang.com
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2010, 05:27 AM   #10
Ruppstang

My Garage
Seems like I remember 67-68 gold card Danny Truit saying that his black 68 fastback was blacked out. You could tell the differance in the gloss of the black. Marty

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions