CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 07/15/2010, 02:04 PM   #1
daveS

windshield washer floor trigger pedal

Hey guys,

I picked up a J code GT/CS last summer and have been doing my best to keep it minty I noticed after I bought the car that there was a small pedal just above the bright light floor switch and below drivers side A/C vent. This footpedal is attached under the dash. I had asked some of the guys at Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara what that pedal was, and they told me they thought it was just a foot rest. So just last weekend I was driving the car, and I stepped on this footpedal. When I pushed a little harder, the pedal depressed and the windshield wipers swiped across the windshield. So, it looks like this car was equipped with some kind of windshield, intermittent wiper device. I had no idea this was an option. Could it have been added aftermarket ? It looks factory to me. Anyone know anything about these ?

Here are some pics of the car by the way (this is not the original grille but I do have the original stored in my garage) ....

Oh,and I posted in the classifieds, but I also need a new steering wheel or a restoration of mine if you guys have any leads on that.

Thanks !
-Dave
daveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Wow! Nice Car!!

That wiper pedal is the real deal and stock on '68s. I only wish they would've continued through '69 & 70 as it's the best intermittent wiper feature I've seen on any car, new or old! :-)

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2010, 05:03 PM   #3
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
My friend used to have fun with people back in the day with his 1968.

He would tell them that his car had an automatic windshield system, when enough water hit the glass the wipers would cycle.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarCJ View Post
My friend used to have fun with people back in the day with his 1968.

He would tell them that his car had an automatic windshield system, when enough water hit the glass the wipers would cycle.
Oh yeah, they're great fun. You could also tell people they are voice command. With both hands on the wheel - tap the pedal whenever your passenger sneezes ;-)

Tim
Old 07/16/2010, 07:31 AM   #5
daveS

Cool.

Thanks for chiming in here. I didn't know that this was a stock feature on '68s. As always, I learn something every time I come to this website.

So this little pedal in my car does not have a rubber pad on the part that your foot presses on...its just bare metal. I wonder if there is was a rubber pad that goes over the pedal or is it just supposed to be bare metal ?

I'll have to try the voice command next time I get a few people in the car....the auto wiper for when the windshield gets wet probably won't work for me, because I never take the car out in the rain or wet weather
Old 07/16/2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Dave, only one of mine has the rubber pad, so I believe they came with one (others here will know...) It looks to be a type that would slip off and get disposed of easily with time...

Tim
Old 07/16/2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Doug
My Car Details

Mine also has the rubber pad. I am sure that a Mustang parts supplier will have these.

Love the color.

66 Shelby GT 350, 55 Chev Nomad my sons 07 Shelby GT#4208. SOLD Candy Apple Red 390GTAuto w/air - Now in Australia.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Timmknz
My Car Details

Sold my original GT/CS because I got the restomod bug!

Check your owners manual

Get a reproduced owners manual cheap, I think the information on the windshield washer pedal is in there....

Tim McKenzie
Highland Green
Timmknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveS View Post
Cool.

Thanks for chiming in here. I didn't know that this was a stock feature on '68s. As always, I learn something every time I come to this website.

So this little pedal in my car does not have a rubber pad on the part that your foot presses on...its just bare metal. I wonder if there is was a rubber pad that goes over the pedal or is it just supposed to be bare metal ?

I'll have to try the voice command next time I get a few people in the car....the auto wiper for when the windshield gets wet probably won't work for me, because I never take the car out in the rain or wet weather
You can say, "Clean Window" then press hard on the lever.

It helps to point out the dirty window to the passengers so they are looking at it instead of your feet.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2010, 03:57 PM   #10
daveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

Love the color.
Yeah it looks bad ass...its actually Poppy Red which looks more orange than red. It's one of the only non-orginal items on the car (at least from what I can tell). I think it was done right because you really cannot tell the color was changed when you look inside and underneath everything. It's actually really a shame they didn't make Poppy Red GT/CSs because it really looks great on this car ! (trying not to be biased)
Old 07/16/2010, 08:05 PM   #11
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage
Yup, that feature came on all '68's (and '67's too if I'm not mistaken). I'm surprised Mustang Ranch didn't know that. Do they specialize in late models or something?

Anyway, they did have a rubber pad over the pedal. Here's one: http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.a...cd2=1279335867

Very nice car with some great options. You should be proud.

PS - Have you tried the high beams yet? That red light-up pony on the dash cluster is right up there on the cool scale with the foot operated wipers.

admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2010, 08:43 PM   #12
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Nice looking car!!!!

I didn't know about that pedal either when I first got my CS.
I used to use it as a dead pedal, assuming that's what it was.

Funny thing was I couldn't figure out why when I had to brake hard the wipers would go on. I assumed there was some kind of short or crossed wire somewhere.

At some point I figured out it was the pedal and when I stopped hard my foot would press down on that pedal without realizing it, activating the wipers.

Now when it rains that's how I run my wipers. Very rarely do I turn on the wipers using the switch. Great intermittment feature!

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions