CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/17/2010, 02:08 AM   #1
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage
c4 bellhousings

Here's the deal!!!!

After researching blockplates and flex plates, I thought I had it all figured out. WRONG.
I put on what I thought was the correct block plate and flex plate for a c4 to mate up to the 351w. Turns out that the flex plate (164 tooth) I already had will work ,but the block plate AND the bellhousing need to be changed. I've read that there are 2 different c4 bellhousings for the small block engines. I have the smaller one and it turns out that I need the larger one to fit the 351w.
Is the only difference in them being the starer opening, which makes for a bigger/wider bellhousing? Everything else seems to match up as far as bolt and dowel holes. Anyone ever had this problem?

Thanks Bret
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2010, 11:18 PM   #2
J.Bart
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to J.Bart
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 special View Post
Here's the deal!!!!

After researching blockplates and flex plates, I thought I had it all figured out. WRONG.
I put on what I thought was the correct block plate and flex plate for a c4 to mate up to the 351w. Turns out that the flex plate (164 tooth) I already had will work ,but the block plate AND the bellhousing need to be changed. I've read that there are 2 different c4 bellhousings for the small block engines. I have the smaller one and it turns out that I need the larger one to fit the 351w.
Is the only difference in them being the starer opening, which makes for a bigger/wider bellhousing? Everything else seems to match up as far as bolt and dowel holes. Anyone ever had this problem?

Thanks Bret
yes, and it's really frustrating
realizing these things after it's all bolted in the car.
from what i gathered the fly wheel , or flex plate "tooth count" have to match the bell housing and the block plate.

and close doesn't count

jbart
J.Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/2010, 04:25 PM   #3
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Bret,
Do you have this resolved yet? I missed you first posting. My first blush is their is no difference in the "small block" bell housing but you may need the proper year and proper tooth count flex plate. The most common are the 157 and 164 tooth. My guess is you just need the correct combination.

I will dig into my archives.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/2010, 07:29 PM   #4
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
I believe that there are three small block Ford bellhousings for the C4 transmission.

C4AP-7976-A This was used on the early 260 V8 engines. 157 tooth bell, and it is only for the early 5 bolt blocks.

C5OP-7976-A This is correct for a 1968 Mustang 289/302. 157 tooth bell for the 6 bolt blocks.

D2AP-7976-AA? This should be the C4 164 tooth bellhousing used starting in 1972?

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Ruppstang

My Garage
There also is one that fits to 200 6 cil. I promise you Bret that one will not work.

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2010, 07:08 PM   #6
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage
Thanks for all the input. Got it figured out. I went to the local trans shop and it turns out all I needed was a new flex plate. I haven't put it together yet as I'm doing other touch ups to the engine and engine compartment. I just have to decide how far to go and still have time to get her up and running before the Pony trails and Bremerton and show. It'll work out. Most important part is to slow down and take a second look while downing a cold one. AAH, much better now!!

Bret:)
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2010, 04:15 PM   #7
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
a cold one solves a miriad of problems!!! At my house anyway!!
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions