CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 03/21/2010, 04:19 PM   #1
bassman2

2-'68 CS / 1- '68 GT500 onitsway

My Garage
Flaming River rack and pinion ?

From my previous threads, I'm doing a full rebuild on my C code special - It was modified with a big block power steering set up.

I removed the power steering unit and it appears to need a rebuild.

I already know this car will not be a concourse car. The engine is not original, it's getting rebuilt now. I've got a disc brake kit, new drums from MP brakes, and I'm going to change the interior color.

Would you consider putting in a flaming river rack and pinion set up? Cost not being a factor.

I'm building the car to drive, show and last for 20+ years.

Thanks!
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2010, 04:46 PM   #2
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
BassMan,
Have you looked at Randalls Rack and Pinion. They work with Stan Johnson at Ford Powertrain Applications in a tandem with his Stan's Headers. They ensure that all clears each other as a package. Specialize in Mustangs!!

http://www.randallsrack.com/

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/FPA%20index1.htm

Both are companies in Washington state.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2010, 07:01 AM   #3
FirecrackerKTM

I'd like to do a rack and pinion. How do the smaller companies compare to Flaming River's products? I didn't find a rack kit on the Ford Power Train link at all. ??
FirecrackerKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2010, 10:24 AM   #4
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
KTM,
They mention each other in their sites. If you go into the long tube headers on the FPA site, in the notes, they are specifically designed to clear Randalls Rack installations!

I have a set of FPA headers on both my cars. Top notch quality, tucked up even with the front frame sub-rails, ball socket connections that do not leak or need a gasket. The coating is second to none. I have had coatings form JET Hot and a local guy. These are superior to the local guy and equal or better than jet hot.

Randalls Rack is a small guy, but sometimes "smaller" is better when doing business! Especially banks and lending institutions!!

Give Stan a call at FPA! Mention my name and get 100 dollars added to your bill!! For all the times I call him! Just kidding. Great guy!

Rob

Check them out on my Fastback. By the way, these headers will clear stock power steering rams without the drop bracket! By the way, 3 inch exhaust. The better to make noise with!

robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2010, 06:31 AM   #5
FirecrackerKTM

Ooooh, 3 inch. I think we have 2.5. And the car has shorty headers on it now.

This is a "down the road" project, but I'd REALLY like to do it. I've had power steering on my other rigs too long, I'm spoiled now.
FirecrackerKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2010, 08:26 AM   #6
bassman2

My Garage
After lots and lots of reading...I was going to go with the total control rack.

Then I read some more and ended up ordering the Borgeson power steering unit.

Just an update...
Old 05/01/2010, 10:14 AM   #7
tworings
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
After lots and lots of reading...I was going to go with the total control rack.

Then I read some more and ended up ordering the Borgeson power steering unit.

Just an update...
Bassman,

We are trying to make the same decision (Flaming River R&P vs Borgeson power steering unit).

What made you decide on the Borgeson? Do you think you'll be installing it soon? Would love to get your feedback before we decide!

Thanks
Lisa (tworings)
tworings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2010, 12:36 PM   #8
bassman2

My Garage
Well... I did lots of reading on the flaming river unit. There is a lot of negative feedback available on the various mustang forums. Just do a search and spend some time reading all the feedback and issues.

After reading all that I could find about the various racks, I was headed toward a total control products rack. And then I read some more... And for the money and simplicity I decided to take a chance on the Borgeson unit.

I guess I'll be a guinea pig on this one.

I won't be able to install the unit for a couple months. I'm still working on getting it stripped completely. My blasting is going very slow, I only get about 3-4 hours a day on the car.
Old 05/02/2010, 12:49 PM   #9
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
Quote:
I won't be able to install the unit for a couple months. I'm still working on getting it stripped completely. My blasting is going very slow, I only get about 3-4 hours a day on the car.
I always take the body shell to a local guy to strip it. He's all set up for it and has it done for me in a couple of days for about $400. I have two different bead blasters in my shop but limit myself to small parts. Some things I just don't feel the need to do myself anymore.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2010, 01:34 PM   #10
tworings
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:

I won't be able to install the unit for a couple months. I.
Thanks for the feedback. We had to disable the power steering and are driving without for now so we'll want to figure it out soon. Where are you getting your Borgenson?
tworings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2010, 04:32 PM   #11
bassman2

My Garage
I ordered it directly from Borgeson. It showed up in a week.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions