CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/19/2010, 10:22 AM   #1
NWGearhead
My Car Details

What is the speed of dark?

J-Code 4 speed

Price: OBO

I am in the process of buying a larger house and it looks like something might have to go to make the deal work. That something is my GT/CS

To that end I am testing the waters to see what the market thinks about my baby. It is a very nicely restomodded (sorry purists) Candyapple red with white stripes J-code 4 speed. I have the elite Marti which shows it as a one of one (red exterior, red interior, J-code, 4-speed). The engine has been balanced and blueprinted, has electronic ignition, aftermarket intake, tri-y headers hooked to dual flowmasters, Torque-Thrust rims with new rubber (also comes with the original rims and hubcaps with brand new tires), and a 5-speed with a Hurst shifter in place of the original 4-speed. It also has a nice Alpine amp, head unit, and speakers. Finally, it still has the original Marchal foglights.

Understanding that the market is a bit soft now, what are your opinions on worth? Grundy currently has it appraised at $32,500 for insurance purposes.

I have attach a few pictures, but if you would like more I can certainly send them.

Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68fordmustanggtcsred02.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	11361   Click image for larger version

Name:	68gtcs01.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	11362   Click image for larger version

Name:	68gtcs07.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	11363  

NWGearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2010, 05:08 PM   #2
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
22k to the right buyer?

Car is personalized to you which might make the field of buyers smaller.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2010, 05:15 PM   #3
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
A beauty! Today's market is awful. Best of luck.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2010, 07:16 PM   #4
classicsguy

There was a magazine article in Mustang Monthly I believe and in it was a list of Mustangs that should NOT be modified and the 1968 GT/CS and HCS were in that list.
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2010, 04:13 AM   #5
68 special

8R01T149485

My Garage
Beautiful car. I think Jason is right in the ball park. Even with the mods, it is very tastefully done. If I still lived in Medford, we could hook up. Have you been to the cruise in Medford that's usually in June? Next year I'll bring my car down and visit my family. kill two birds with one stone. Anyway, good luck.

Bret
68 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2010, 07:43 AM   #6
NWGearhead
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 special View Post
Beautiful car. I think Jason is right in the ball park. Even with the mods, it is very tastefully done. If I still lived in Medford, we could hook up. Have you been to the cruise in Medford that's usually in June? Next year I'll bring my car down and visit my family. kill two birds with one stone. Anyway, good luck.

Bret
I haven't taken the GT/CS to Medford, but I have had it in the Klamath Kruise for the past two years. In fact, the car trophied in its class both times. The other winners in the class were a Hertz GT350 and a Boss 302. Since the three of us have won both years, we were thinking about changing classes so others would have a shot at the trophies.

As for value, I tend to agree that low to mid 20's is about right.
Old 04/21/2010, 09:28 AM   #7
di81977

Nice looking car. This is a desirable combination (J code and 4spd). I would expect that there are interested individuals out there.

As someone that has a modified HCS, I have to agree that to get top dollar, stock/originality is key with these cars. When I go to sell mine, I will be putting the 302 back in with original carb, manifolds, distributor, water pump, etc.

Good luck with your car and your new house.

david
di81977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2010, 07:41 AM   #8
NWGearhead
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by di81977 View Post
Nice looking car. This is a desirable combination (J code and 4spd). I would expect that there are interested individuals out there.

As someone that has a modified HCS, I have to agree that to get top dollar, stock/originality is key with these cars. When I go to sell mine, I will be putting the 302 back in with original carb, manifolds, distributor, water pump, etc.

Good luck with your car and your new house.

david

I agree that original is the way to go for top dollar. If I had bought this car unrestored originally, that is probably the path I would have taken.

Thankfully, with the exception of the original 4-speed, there is nothing done that cannot be fairly easily reversed to get it back to stock. I just wish the prior owner would have included the original tranny, but that's life.

I'm still hoping to hang onto it, but at the end of the day it's only plastic and metal, and if it has to go, so be it. There will be other opportunities down the road to throw perfectly good green pieces of paper at garage toys.

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > Classified Ads