CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/16/2010, 09:09 AM   #1
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Power Steering Hose Routing

Help,
Rob obviously does not know how the pressure hose on a 1968 Mustang with a 302 or 289 is routed. Can someone post a couple pictures? My old pressure hose that fit the 1/4 fitting worked perfectly. About half of the hose was a very "bendy" small hose that followed the control valve perfectly from lock to lock. I had is secured to the shock tower with a couple clamps and it was a very clean looking install. The hose from Napa for the 5/16 fitting on my new control valve was a very stiff one piece larger hose. It didn't want to follow anything!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Ruppstang

My Garage
Rob,
These pictures are of our 67 GTA that used the 1/4 fitting too. Many of the 68s used a rubber strap to pull the hose back to the shock tower. I have never had any luck with the auto parts store hoses. Maybe R&R Classics can help you. If not NPDs stuff is not too bad. If you want the best I would have Roger at Rhodes Restorations in Ohio custom make you some. He is as close to OEM as anyone but takes a week or two. GOOD LUCK I don't think you could have any more bad! Marty
PS. If you need any more pics let me know I could get some of the 68 fastback.
I almost forgot do you have the metal bracket and rubber insulator shown in picture # 2 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Power steering hose routing 001.JPG
Views:	1122
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	11588   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Power steering hose routing 002.JPG
Views:	1218
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	11589   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Power steering hose routing 003.JPG
Views:	1287
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	11590  

Name:	67 Power steering hose routing 004.JPG
Views:	1365
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	11591  

Follow HCS restoration at http://68hcs.weebly.com
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2010, 11:00 AM   #3
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Marty,
Wow, Thanks!! First of all, how clean is your car!!!

That is what I thought they looked like. Mine was very close to that with the first hose. The Napa hose would not "lay" in there very well no matter what I did.

Neil called me and we also talked about how bad the Napa hoses fit. He may post a pic or two also.

Lesson learned!!!

Rob
Old 05/16/2010, 11:17 AM   #4
gtcs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Help,
Rob obviously does not know how the pressure hose on a 1968 Mustang with a 302 or 289 is routed. Can someone post a couple pictures? My old pressure hose that fit the 1/4 fitting worked perfectly. About half of the hose was a very "bendy" small hose that followed the control valve perfectly from lock to lock. I had is secured to the shock tower with a couple clamps and it was a very clean looking install. The hose from Napa for the 5/16 fitting on my new control valve was a very stiff one piece larger hose. It didn't want to follow anything!

Rob
May be these can give more help, these are the original hoses and strap on the shock tower.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 036.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	11592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 038.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	11593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 039.jpg
Views:	1021
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	11594  

1968 GT/CS - Highland Green - C Code 289
1973 Mustang Convertible - Bright Green Gold Metallic - H Code 351-2V
gtcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2010, 01:11 PM   #5
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
We just located a company that is supposed to have exact concours hoses.

Of course they want concours prices.

Copies of original 1967-68's with various engines, not generic "good enough" PepBoys replacements.

I will try and post something this week.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2010, 03:57 PM   #6
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcs1 View Post
May be these can give more help, these are the original hoses and strap on the shock tower.
This is what I thought. and your hose has the steel connector that is "secured" by the double hose holder clamp down low. My "crapa" hose was just one long hose. And it looks like your hose is smaller after the steel connection and I bet more plyable than the one I was working with!

I still can't open the hood...... Lots of cleaning to do.... I need someone to fly in and hold my hand and hug me!!! and then get down there and clean that stinking car!!! I feel a bit like Amy after Satan tried to kick her ass!

Rob
Old 05/16/2010, 04:49 PM   #7
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I wonder if they would let me bring my pressure washer on the plane as carry on luggage?

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2010, 08:59 PM   #8
somethingspecial

My Garage
Rob, It doesn't take long for ATF and brake fluid to start stipping paint. If I were you, I'd be opening the hood and pressure washing everything. You may need to repaint lots o stuff under the hood. JMHO. Mike
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2010, 10:42 PM   #9
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrtrash View Post
I wonder if they would let me bring my pressure washer on the plane as carry on luggage?

Steve
...We pressure washed Donna's car upon her arrival when she blew her hose on the way up from LA. It cleaned up nicely, plus, we gave her a bank of plug wires to replace the charred ones. Although brake fluid is caustic, ATF and some soot shouldn't hurt anything...

As for hoses (since you're not uptight 'bout concours) You can take your old ones to a hydraulic shop and have them make steel braided ones using your existing piping & fittings. Our local auto parts machine shop did that for my clone which has headers... In addition to better flexibility and heat protection, this allowed me to route them for better fit & function...

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2010, 08:18 AM   #10
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special View Post
...We pressure washed Donna's car upon her arrival when she blew her hose on the way up from LA. It cleaned up nicely, plus, we gave her a bank of plug wires to replace the charred ones. Although brake fluid is caustic, ATF and some soot shouldn't hurt anything...

As for hoses (since you're not uptight 'bout concours) You can take your old ones to a hydraulic shop and have them make steel braided ones using your existing piping & fittings. Our local auto parts machine shop did that for my clone which has headers... In addition to better flexibility and heat protection, this allowed me to route them for better fit & function...
Tim,
Crap, never thought of that. We have a speciality shop in the area that just does hydraulic hoses! Duh! Thanks for the whack in the brain cells!!!

Rob
Old 05/17/2010, 09:49 AM   #11
tomcwarren
My Car Details

Rob,

Lots of good info on the Ford PS system here:

http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringsysteminfo.html

This guy also does first-class PS component rebuilds - mine has been perfect (easy 1-finger steering, tracks perfectly straight & true, no shudders/judders lock-to-lock, no leaks, etc.) since he rebuilt my control valve a year or so ago.

Your 'mind of its own' steering could be due to a binding/maladjusted spool valve/centering spring, or even reversed CV short-hoses (common, but it would probably have a much more violent behavior that what you report.). Check out the troubleshooting section on the site above, as well as the CV info.

Good luck!

Tom
tomcwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2010, 03:12 PM   #12
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Tom,
Great information! Thanks! My steering just sits there with the engine running, even with the tires off the ground. Move it anywhere and it just sits still.

Looks like there is one more adjustment that may also affect the steering. I think I will calll this guy.

Rob

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions