CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 04/21/2004, 09:52 AM   #1
darb

Send a message via AIM to darb Send a message via MSN to darb Send a message via Yahoo to darb
A/C Vacuum Can Issues

Well, I've tried...and tried..and tried again to get my old bucket of a Vacuum Can to hold. It started leaking and made an awful hissing noise so I plastered it with silicone and such which held nicely for..oh..a week. Then the air stopped coming out of the vents and down onto the floor, so I pulled it out and found another leaky spot...which..I filled.

Well you get the picture, I think I've layered on the gunk so think I can't put anymore on it, but it still decides to leak!

Does anyone have any good repair ideas regarding this? Or should I just dish out the $70 for a new one?

Thank for the help,

Brad
darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2004, 11:55 AM   #2
mmillstx
My Car Details

Long Beach State Alumni

Re:A/C Vacuum Can Issues

Brad,

Being an owner of an air conditioning company, I could probably help here. About the only substace that will keep an air tight seal is a product called mastic. It is also called 181 (the UL code number), hardcast, or pookie. You might be able to find it at a local hardware store. The best fix would be to line it with some aluninum sided a/c tape and then put the mastic over the top. This is done with a cheap disposable paint brush. The mastic (or hardcast) looks like white plaster, but will set up very hard and air tight.

That being said, is it worth the time, expense, and effort? Probably not. That is your call. Hope that my rambling has shed some light or helped in some small way.

Mike
mmillstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2004, 06:54 PM   #3
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

Re:A/C Vacuum Can Issues

Brad,
I would go with a new one, or you could try ebay but you could be right where you started with a used/original one.
Doug
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions