CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 11/28/2009, 08:07 PM   #1
mustanggirl

If it is not a MUSTANG....then it's just another car!

Restoration Questions

Now that I finally got my 66 HCS home it is time to decide how to restore it. I want of get some opinions on what I should do. Since this is a special car, should I make it 100% stock or modify it? Right now I am thinking about keeping everything that can be identified though the VIN or door tag original and doing some upgrades on the rest. Please let me know what you have done to your cars and ideas for restoring mine.
mustanggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Mosesatm

How are you going to use the car once it's complete?
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2009, 08:16 PM   #3
mustanggirl

Mostly car shows and cruising.

Last edited by mustanggirl; 11/29/2009 at 04:29 PM..
Old 11/28/2009, 09:08 PM   #4
J_Speegle

In my opinion you don't buy a special car then hot rod it. It likely cost you more than a non - HCS right and you bought it because it was so why make it into something else. I've found that the more you modify the specials the more often people will assume its a clone/fake.

Save that (modifications) for the 1 of a million sort of Mustang.

Jeff Speegle
C U @ ConcoursMustang.com
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2009, 10:35 PM   #5
hicountrybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Speegle View Post
In my opinion you don't buy a special car then hot rod it. It likely cost you more than a non - HCS right and you bought it because it was so why make it into something else. I've found that the more you modify the specials the more often people will assume its a clone/fake.

Save that (modifications) for the 1 of a million sort of Mustang.
RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HIGH COUNTRY BOB here
hicountrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2009, 10:58 PM   #6
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I restored mine to 98% stock, with just a couple of "period correct" engine/tranny mods that don't show or can be replaced with original in an afternoon. I would have done 100% stock but can't seem to live without that smile that comes when I hear the exhaust bark. I'm expecting to start acting my age someday---just not today.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...I would agree more with Jeff & Bob in this case, because the value of the difference lies completely in your cars heritage. Without knowing the upgrades you're thinking of, all I can say is the world (and car shows) are full of hopped up 65 & 66's that are mostly a "blur" to me anymore... I have YET to see a real 66 HCS and I would be more attracted and curious. You have the opportunity few others have to stand tall in the crowd IMO.

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2009, 01:27 AM   #8
hicountrybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Special View Post
...I would agree more with Jeff & Bob in this case, because the value of the difference lies completely in your cars heritage. Without knowing the upgrades you're thinking of, all I can say is the world (and car shows) are full of hopped up 65 & 66's that are mostly a "blur" to me anymore... I have YET to see a real 66 HCS and I would be more attracted and curious. You have the opportunity few others have to stand tall in the crowd IMO.
Oh, so well said, Tim! Believe me, so few of these '66's are around and the color of yours is so "odd" even to seasoned Mustang tire kickers, that you will slow down many looky loos as you show your car. Get on it and I'll see you two at Steamboat in June (Fathers Day weekend) and in Seattle July 15-18. Keep in touch, Bob Teets here. PS, I only have one '66 badge left and it is a driver side one. Sorry.
hicountrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2009, 06:42 AM   #9
classicsguy

Congratulations on your purchase! Who will be restoring the car? Yourself or a restoration shop?
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2009, 09:43 AM   #10
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
If it were my car, I see a great opportunity to restore it back to it's original condition- including the original color. It's a rare model deserving restoration to that configuration. The only 'mods' I put on mine must be correct for the year & model, otherwise you detract from it's uniquity. My 2 cents worth!

Neil
franklinair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2009, 09:56 AM   #11
mustanggirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsguy View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! Who will be restoring the car? Yourself or a restoration shop?
We are planning to do most of the mechanical work ourselves and have help with the body work form a shop here in Grand Junction, Co. But we are open to suggestions.

We have noticed that on the door tag the DSO code is a 6 digit number instead of the normal 2 digits. We have read that this is because the HCS were special order, but do all 66 HCS have the same DSO code or they unique to each car?

Last edited by mustanggirl; 11/29/2009 at 10:12 AM..
Old 11/29/2009, 12:09 PM   #12
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Can you post the DSO number. I am interested in any and all 6 digit codes.

I think you can make some tasteful mods that will enhance you driving experience without hot rodding it. I nice dual exhaust system would give you some sound. I think that the trumpet tips through the rear valance is one of the nicest looking exhaust treatments on any car! Certainly it would make it closer to a GT car, but easy to tell it is not. The paint and interior should remain stock.

Is it a two-tone interior? What is the exterior color again? Sorry I missed that.

Matching hump hugger console is great for carrying your coffee. Certainly a nice stereo would be great. Two items that a lot of people consider are disc brakes and a shoulder restraint system for safety. They have some very nice options for that if you feel the need. If you desire this, think about it from the start of the restoration.

The one mod that can really enhance your car if you go long distance is a newer automatic overdrive transmission (AOD). Is it an automatic? No one knows that the AOD is in there and can make freeway driving such a pleasure and reduce gas consumption a bit. But if your car has 2.79 rear end gears, it will cruise just fine.

I think a pivotal decision that can be done anytime is the tire and wheels. Stock or something more. If you go stock, then leave the car at the stock ride height. But if you choose to go aftermarket then you may want to plan from the beginning. A slightly lower stance makes all the difference IMO, but must be planned to not rub anywhere. Your choice here will kinda set the tone for the car. Stock or tasteful modified.

Now remember, I am the butcher king!! Modified all the way!! So take me as a non-stock guy! But I think you can personalize and enhance it without it being a hot rod.

Your rolling stock in my mind sets the tone for the rest of the car.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2009, 12:30 PM   #13
mustanggirl

Here is what we know about the car from the VIN and Door tag

1966 Coupe
289 2v V8

Body/65A: 2 door hard top, standard interior
Color: HCS Columbine blue (not on tag of course)
Trim/22: Light blue crinkle vinyl and blue rosette vinyl, standard interior
Date/15G: July 15 ,1966
DSO/51: Denver (Door tag reads 510246)
Axle/6: 2:80:1 Conventional
Trans/6: C4 Automatic

What are your thoughts about changing to electronic ignition? I am thinking about a Flame Thrower coil and ignitor.
Old 11/29/2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Mosesatm

I hate to keep bringing this up but how you build the car depends on how you use it.

When you say you want to show it are you talking about judged MCA shows or local anything-goes shows?

If you use it mainly for shows I don't see a real benefit to electronic ignition and the extra wire required may cost you points at an MCA show.
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2009, 02:19 PM   #15
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Pertronics solid state & coil gives you worry free ignition while still looking stock. The Pertronics coil can be painted black, and by carefully masking the top it can be painted there to look like the old 'mustard top' coil. (John Deere yellow aerosol is a GOOD match)

Last edited by franklinair; 12/30/2009 at 10:41 AM..
franklinair is online now   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions