CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 11/15/2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Ruppstang

My Garage
A really bad Day!

It is just a bit ironic the just this morning I told Neil I could not imagine how he felt when that wheel came through his fender. I have a pretty good idea now.
I was just making a few adjustments to the silver 67 that I am going to sell. I was putting the battery back in the car when I connected the negative cable, the starter started to turn and the car started to move in reverse (its a manual). I tried to pull off the cable and to make it worse it started up draging me along while laying rubber on the floor I grabed for the coil wire and missed pulling off 1 plug wire. I fell off and the car went through the shop door. I then pulled off the coil wire killing the engine but the starter was still cranking. I finely got the battery cable off before it got clear out of the door. Neil, I think I know how you feel. I still do not know what went wrong, the keys weren't even in it. I'll check it more tomorrow. Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	10373   Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	10374   Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	10375  

Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2009, 09:37 PM   #2
J.Bart
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to J.Bart
wow! that is a bad day!
but, no one got hurt, right? so it was a bad day, but thankfully it wasn't a horrible day.
the car doesn't look to bad for going through a garge door.
you need a horse wisperer to teach that mustang not to kick

jbart
J.Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2009, 09:40 PM   #3
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
That hurts to look at. Hope you weren't injured. I was pinned against a steel gate once when one of my cars jumped into reverse while I was behind it, so I know how you feel. I still have dents from my hands in my trunk lid, but this looks a lot worse.

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2009, 09:50 PM   #4
DeadStang

My Garage
Wow! Thankfully it wasn't in first gear! Replace your solenoid AND the ignition switch.

I had something similar (nothing that dramatic, thank God) happen with my '69 coupe...started by replacing the ignition switch, but it was still intermittently acting strange, so I did the solenoid as well. No issues since. After this incident, and a second one involving a stuck solenoid in the parking lot of the DMV with a "new" '70 I had, I always put those switches on my negative battery terminal on all my drivers. They're $25 each, but worth the peace of mind.
DeadStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2009, 10:22 PM   #5
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Omigosh. Sympathy is your pain in my heart.

Definitely- replace the starter solenoid. I guarrantee it's stuck closed. With the battery disconnected, you'll read 0 ohms between the two large posts on the solenoid.
We had an identical type problem on an aircraft causing the landing gear not to extend, and subsequent belly landing. The FAA claimed 'pilot error', until I showed them the solenoid with the internal contacts welded together.

Hope the body damage is minimal, and even more thankful you weren't hurt. Wish I were there to help.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2009, 10:43 PM   #6
J_Speegle

Sorry to hear about your day but at least your safe. Can't tell all the stories of calls I went on over where the owner pinned themselves againist a wall or even drove over themselves. Had one where the person ran over their own head
J_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2009, 11:50 PM   #7
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...Oh Marty....Damn! So sorry! This will be one of those nights (if you get to sleep) you'll wake up tomorrow hoping it was all a bad dream! Been there too. So sorry for you indeed. I agree with Neil. Solenoid and possibly ignition switch. My black CS kept trying to start itself on cold rainy nights when I first got it. Sometimes at around 2 a.m.! Thank God I didn't have it in gear.

So glad you didn't get hurt. Everything else will be better with a little more time. Hang in there!

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Russ

Mustangs Forever

eBay: g350t

Marty, I'm so glad YOU were not hurt!!! I've found throughout the years that material things can be replaced or repaired, and while your beautiful Mustang and your garage are injured...they can be repaired. I'm so thankful you're okay! Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 07:42 AM   #9
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage
Ouch! That does hurt to look at. I'm really sorry to hear it Marty.

As others said, the silver lining is that no one got hurt. Although I'm sure that doesn't help your state of mind too much at the moment.

admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 08:29 AM   #10
66hcs-conv
My Car Details

66 HCS-conv, Columbine blue & 2001 Cobra conv

My Garage
Smile

Marty,

GLAD you or nobody was hurt. What a experience!

Is this car any relation to the movie car Christine?

Hang in there, Dave
66hcs-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 09:33 AM   #11
JohnnyQuest515
My Car Details

Looking for another GT/CS

Weeping Water, NE?

I feel for you man.

Randy

CSX4853
09'GT500KR
JohnnyQuest515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 10:04 AM   #12
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Glad no one was hurt!!! Makes you want to disconnect your battery every night!!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 10:26 AM   #13
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Now that I am over the shock of the pictures, I have a thought. The aft small post on the solenoid provides 12 volts during the "cranking" phase of engine start up. Directly to the coil. I have used a screwdriver to connect the forward small post to the large battery terminal post to “bump” an engine.

I may be wrong, but with the starter engaged and the key off the car will start if you bump it like I describe. And then die as soon as you release the screw driver letting the solenoid release. So if the solenoid was fused together, the engine would start and continue to run until the starter is released. With the key off!

So your ignition switch is ok, I believe. The solenoid is the culprit. But you know that already.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 11:08 AM   #14
joedls
My Car Details

eBay: 65-4-me

Sorry to hear about your incident. The important thing is that you're OK. You'll fix up that car before you know it.

Joe

HP numbers are good and all, but they're like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make, if I can still kick your ass.
joedls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 03:57 PM   #15
gofastguy

So sorry!!! I am new to the classic Mustang world and wondering by some of the posts if this is something that is not all that uncommon. If so, I need to re-think how I turn mine of and park it (in first or reverse with no e-brake if on a flat surface)...

Steve
Raven Black/Red S Code 4 Speed (Sold 12/11 to a Great Home!)
07 Shelby GT #3040, 05 Torch Red Vert
11 Glass Roof MCA Edition
gofastguy is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions