CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/24/2009, 11:38 PM   #1
bassman2

2-'68 CS / 1- '68 GT500 onitsway

My Garage
Help getting started on my project

Quick intro and thanks to those commenting in the classified section - I picked up a j code car this past sunday for 10k. Marti report shows:
California special
c-4
f70x14 wide oval tires
white sidewalls
power disc brakes
power steering
air cond
am radio
tinted glass
deluxe belts
wheel covers

build date 2/7/68

I'm hoping to get some advice for places to buy parts and places to stay away from. Also maybe some advice as to what to start with first and how far to take the resto/mod. I bought the car as a project for myself - I want to do most of the work myself - if possible. To gain experience, not as a money saving issue.

Here's a summary of the condition of the car:

It looks like it has been partially restored -

Body appears to be OK - there is evidence of some repairs (replacement door), but for the most part it's straight and has very little rust - so far that I have discovered.

It Runs and functions - I drove it 4 hours on I-5. No major issues. The motor is a replacement. The steering seems very loose. I plan on rebuilding the entire suspension system.

The interior is shot.

Here's a few pics.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/IMG_0790.jpg

bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 05:23 AM   #2
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

Welcome to the site. You came to the right place for help. Just about any question you have, to the detail, can be answered here. We are all a friendly family here, and have experts in just about anything Mustang and everything GT/CS and HCS. It looks like you have a great starter project.....mostly seems like a lot of detail work if you already drove it 4 hours! Is it the original color? Thanks, Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 06:08 AM   #3
Ruppstang

My Garage
It looks like a great starting point. You will find much help on this site. With that help you will be suprised what you can do your self. I am a MCA gold card judge, and can help with any quetions of MCA rules ect. Good luck and welcome! Marty
Ruppstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Welcome bassman2!
...What Casey and Marty said. Another member; "clubpro" is a proven resource for finding correct parts at the best prices.

http://www.rnrclassics.net/

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 08:30 AM   #5
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Welcome Bassman2!
Loose steering can be a combination of alot of worn things, bad alignment, or just one very worn component. As you give us more information maybe we can help you put your money in the best spots. Many things can be done "down the road" so to speak.

But you may have very deep pockets (I don't) and can just attack all of it. I think one of the first things you will need to decide is whether you want to go for a complete "rotisserie" job with everything removed or what I call a “rolling restoration” where you kinda attack it with the engine and suspension still in the car. That is what I have done mostly as the cars I have where pretty solid.

On other thing is total originality for concurs judging or just a respectable fun car with some mild modifications. This site (not me) has tons of advice on the concurs route. I am more a modified guy.

Anyway, what a great start of a car!! All of us love to assist with advice from basic engine tuning to high performance stuff. I am very adept at spending other peoples money!!!

Ask away. You will be amazed at the help. There are no stupid questions. Trust me; I have done every “bone head” blunder you can imagine.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 09:15 AM   #6
bassman2

My Garage
Thanks for the welcome!

As I research costs etc, I'll decide on what type of resto to do - "rolling" or rotisserie.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going concours - unless someone here talks me into it based on the potential value etc...

The car started life as a 302 4v, sunlit gold, nugget interior.

Here's a question - How many J codes were built?
Old 08/25/2009, 09:22 AM   #7
aemoo28
My Car Details

Looking for Satan 2.

Can't go wrong with black! The inside is red? Going with a red exterior stripe? You can do red, white, or gold (ask midnightspecial for a photo).

Which state are you in? If you're near the NW we're planning another CS get together soon.

And where did the car come from? Post your Marti- there is a sticky thread where we share/compare them.

And I agree- you drove it 4 hours, so it must be passing inspection mechanically. I only got 30 mins into the drive with mine before the clanking and smoke began.

Clubpro is your source for parts. This forum is your source for experts in bringing any Special back to life. Trust me, this forum is magic. You need proof? Read my posts. My car came back from the dead.

And true- there are no stupid questions. These guys may get a laugh or two in, but in the end they will steer you in the right direction.

ISO well behaved, dependable, and determined CS.
aemoo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 09:31 AM   #8
bassman2

My Garage
Here's the marti report - too small - I'll have to scan it and reload!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	9533  
Old 08/25/2009, 10:29 AM   #9
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
Nicely optioned: P/S, P/B, A/C, Tinted glass, 302, A/T. The J code is the most desirable (IMHO) except for the big blocks. You dun good!!
Lots of info & help here. Where are you located? If you're near enough to some members, we can sometimes entice someone to give hands-on assistance. We're scattered all over the country.
Welcome.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 10:51 AM   #10
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
I'm a J code too.

Extrapolating numbers from other Marti reports, the GT/CS J codes break down like this:

962 total J code 302-4V GT/CS.

658 with C4 automatic transmissions.
218 with 4 speed manual transmissions.
86 with 3 speed manual transmissions.

Yes, please scan your Marti report, I can only make out a small amount of it.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 11:55 AM   #11
bassman2

My Garage
I'm located in the Vancouver WA area!
Old 08/25/2009, 12:19 PM   #12
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
I'm located in the Vancouver WA area!
...Son of a gun, I was just up there! I got to meet Rob Campbell for a wonderful time while doing business in Vancouver. Small world!

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/...highlight=meet

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 02:27 PM   #13
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
Looks like a nice start and you have some great neighbors to offer help when you need the physical kind. Wish I had some CS neighbors close enough to hang out in my garage.

Cory

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 02:43 PM   #14
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Bassman,
I am in Bremerton. Amy in Seattle! My car was supposed to be Anniversary Gold. Black interior, J code, auto PB, PS, Convenience Group, Rear window defroster (fan). Amy is trying to get a group of us together in Seattle in September. You be welcome to join!!

Don’t talk to me about concurs!! I will have you hacking and cutting in no time.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 03:56 PM   #15
bassman2

My Garage
Here's another attempt at the report...

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions