CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/12/2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Mosesatm

The Joys of Owning a 40 Year Old Car!

Lesson for today: Always have the tow truck driver drop off the car at the TOP of the driveway!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Day 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	8854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Day 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	8855  
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...What happened?

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2009, 06:33 PM   #3
sam

how many of those you got? Where can I get good looking side vent windows like yours?
Sam

it\'s great to own a 68\' ......live free or die
Sam
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Diesel Donna
My Car Details

Take that pony for a ride!

No way Arlie......

My GT/CS was my first car, still have it 43 years later. Paid $800. Featured in the May 1998 issue of Mustang Illustrated.
70 Cadillac S&S Ambulance, 70 Toyota Land Cruiser
Diesel Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2009, 08:18 PM   #5
DeadStang

My Garage
I hate it when tow trucks happen!
DeadStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2009, 11:37 PM   #6
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
I'm afraid to ask, but ???????

Steve

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2009, 08:00 AM   #7
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosesatm View Post
Lesson for today: Always have the tow truck driver drop off the car at the TOP of the driveway!
Or buy your house with a slope "into" the garage?

So what prompted this novel approach to "towing" your car back into the driveway?

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Mosesatm

Not sure what's wrong, yet.

I needed to go to one of our local cemeteries yesterday to resolve a minor crisis so I thought I'd drive the GT/CS to see if it still insisted on running hot. When I pulled into the cemetery the car made a couple major hiccups. Not a normal miss-fire, but a complete stop, then immediately start back up. I parked it and revved it a few times. It hiccupped a couple more times then smoothed out so I figured whatever the problem was fixed itself and I shut it down and went to work

When I finished my work and was getting ready to leave I started the car and drove it to the cemetery entrance. When I got to the entrance the car let me know it wasn't happy. It behaved like it was either flooding or starving. I could barely keep it running, so I coaxed it back into the cemetery and into a parking spot. I tweaked the timing and point gap and it ran great again. So back to the cemetery entrance we went, but it started running even worse than before, so back to the parking spot we went. I called a tow truck at that point.

I was able to drive it onto the tow truck so I figured I would be able to make it up the driveway. WRONG. It will start but it won't run well enough to move 5', let alone up the drive.

My 1st thought was that the timing chain slipped but I'm going with the cheapest fixes then progressing from there so I'm telling myself that the problem is just a torn fuel pump diaphram. That would explain why it started out with just a hiccup then kept getting worse.

The car was completely restored 20 years ago, but since then it has been driven only 3000 miiles. Such lack of use wreaks havoc on rubber parts.

If it isn't the fuel pump I'm considering replacing (or rebuilding) the distributor, carb, and timing chain, in that order, unless someone has another suggestion.

A few more tips when come-a-longing a car up a driveway;

- When operating the come-a-long make sure the parking brake is off and the car is not in gear. Believe it or not the car will move in that situation but it takes alot of effort!

- Make sure none of the neighborhood little kids are within earshot when you discover the emergency brake is on and the car is in gear!!!

- Don't forget to block one of the the rear tires.

- Make sure none of the neighborhood little kids are within earshot when you realize why a rear wheel should be blocked.

- Make sure the eye-bolt is screwed into a stud and not just the metal drywall corner bead. That bugger hurts when it pops out.

- Make sure none of the neighborhood little kids are within earshot when the eyebolt pops out of the metal corner bead.

Last edited by Mosesatm; 05/13/2009 at 02:39 PM..
Old 05/13/2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Mosesatm

Duplicate post.
Old 05/13/2009, 12:20 PM   #10
hookedtrout

eBay: bebopin

Send a message via Yahoo to hookedtrout
My Garage
I feel sorry for those neighborhood kids, at this pace they can't be allowed over to see your CS at all!

Cory

Cory
hookedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2009, 12:48 PM   #11
carezcs

My Garage
Had a similar thing on my way to our Mustang Club meeting last month. Swore it was the fuel pump but it turned out to be the fuel filter! I have a steeper drive than yours so had it towed to my mechanic. $6.00 part, $100 labor charge, my GT/CS priceless!
Bruce
carezcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2009, 01:52 PM   #12
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Arlie,
Fuel filter and pump is a good check. You can take the line loose for the carb and attach a rubber hose to it. Get a gas can and have someone roll the engine with the coil wire off. If it is shooting a bunch of gas the pump should be ok. Next check the fuel filter. Not sure what you may have on it. Do not light anything on fire, the neighbors have already been offended.

A huge dose of water can lie in the bottom of a carb. Once it gets to the carb, no amount of running will remove it. Water is heavier than gas and the vacuum created by the venturi affect in your carb will not pull it through the jets and emulsion tubes. Take the carb off and dump it out in a glass container. Many times you can see the water in the bottom of the glass. Don’t use the neighbor kid’s glass. His mother already does not like you.

A good way to check timing chains is to “roll” motor clockwise with 15/16 inch socket on vibration damper bolt. To find TDC number one remove distrubutor cap and watch as the rotor points towards number one wire on cap. Passenger side front plug. As you get close look at timing marks. If the motor lined up on marks has the rotor pointing a wire off in either direction on the cap, you may have jumped a tooth. After you look at this, reverse your ratchet. With marks still on TDC #1 roll counterclockwise slowly while looking directly at the rotor. If you move just a degree or two on the damper and the rotor moves the chain is more than likely fine. If it seems like it takes forever for the rotor to move, you have a very loose chain. Some slop is ok. My bet is not a jumped tooth if the motor only has 3,000 miles on it!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2009, 02:40 PM   #13
franklinair
My Car Details

My Garage
National Weather Service reported air turning blue over Texas. Now I understand.

Neil
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2009, 03:36 PM   #14
aemoo28
My Car Details

Looking for Satan 2.

Or next time call these guys.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/for...1&d=1242254107
http://www.californiaspecial.com/for...1&d=1242254144
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTCS trip home 069.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	8861   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTCS trip home 070.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	8862  

ISO well behaved, dependable, and determined CS.
aemoo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2009, 03:40 PM   #15
aemoo28
My Car Details

Looking for Satan 2.

Arlie, bring your car over to Rob's house on Saturday. We'll tackle your heating problem too. Then we'll head over to the XXX for a burger and a car show. Texas you say? Aw.

ISO well behaved, dependable, and determined CS.
aemoo28 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions