CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 05/20/2009, 04:23 AM   #1
Duker

eBay: bfd180

Taillights

Hello out there.

I am restoring my tailights (ground problems) and when I removed the tailight assembly I noticed that there is a ground wire attached to the connector but it was not attached to anything.

As you know the valance is fibre glass. Where is this ground wire on both sides supposed to be connected to?

Do I just screw it with the screw that is closest to the connector through the fibreglass into the housing of the tailights? Will this give me a proper ground that I need.

Maybe this is the reason my tailights are dim.

I am sorry if my explanation is confusing I can't really explain it any better.

Duker
Duker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2009, 01:20 PM   #2
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Duker,
To my knowledge the ground wire comes from each taillight assembly and is part of the wire harness as it exits the passenger side of the taillight panel into the trunk area. The ground wire feeds along just under the lip of the trunk opening from the passenger side to the center brace that holds the gas cap opening and trunk lock. It drops down the right side (passenger) about 2 to 3 inches and a screw attaches the wire to this brace. If I remember correctly this screw also has the license plate light ground also.

These cars are famous grounding problems to the taillights as they are mounted in fiberglass. I went a step further in my restoration. I installed all new light sockets, but I also soldered a wire directly to the outside of each new sock and ran it in the harness to the same ground. This enhances the ability of each socket to have a good ground. And it can be done without altering the stock harness if you are purist. Once assembled you cannot see it.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2009, 05:46 PM   #3
rvrtrash

So many cars, so little time!

My Garage
A picture is worth 1000 words.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_05200001.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	8897  

The wannabe formerly known as an owner.
rvrtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2009, 07:55 PM   #4
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Steve,
No kidding! That ground is suppose to ground the sockets. Pot metal depending on a good contact bertween it and the socket. Now I REALLY remember why I grounded each socket!

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Perkchiro
My Car Details

eBay: Perkchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert campbell View Post
Duker,
To my knowledge the ground wire comes from each taillight assembly and is part of the wire harness as it exits the passenger side of the taillight panel into the trunk area. The ground wire feeds along just under the lip of the trunk opening from the passenger side to the center brace that holds the gas cap opening and trunk lock. It drops down the right side (passenger) about 2 to 3 inches and a screw attaches the wire to this brace. If I remember correctly this screw also has the license plate light ground also.

These cars are famous grounding problems to the taillights as they are mounted in fiberglass. I went a step further in my restoration. I installed all new light sockets, but I also soldered a wire directly to the outside of each new sock and ran it in the harness to the same ground. This enhances the ability of each socket to have a good ground. And it can be done without altering the stock harness if you are purist. Once assembled you cannot see it.

Rob
Rob, I did the exact same thing. Good ground to each socket and I have evenly lit taillights that are bright.

Steve in Missouri
1968 Candyapple Red J Code California Special
Perkchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Duker

eBay: bfd180

Thank you all.

The picture was great and I have a little more work grounding each socket

Thankyou

Duker
Duker is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions